Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Commodus conundrum  (Read 1573 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Another Commodus conundrum
« on: July 15, 2010, 05:03:38 pm »
This is a denarius of Commodus showing a seated Securitas.

Silver denarius of Commodus. Rome, 188-189 CE. 17x18mm, 2.40g
Obverse: M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT. Laureate, bearded head right.
Reverse: SECVR ORB P M TR P XIIII. Securitas seated left, holding out a globe in her right hand.
Exergue: COS V P P
Ref: RIC III 179

What interests me most about this one is that Securitas seems to be resting her elbow on a statuette of a winged creature, perhaps a sphinx. This is not mentioned in the RIC description and indeed is not there on some of the specimens on line, though it is just the same as this on others. 

What is this creature, and why is it on a coin of Securitas?

(Another interesting thing is that on coins like this, where the legend speaks specifically of the security of the world, the globe held by Securitas might represent that world, and not the cosmos as would be the usual interpretation.)

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Another Commodus conundrum
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:22:48 pm »
This is very interesting.
Neither a sphinx nor a gryphon is an attribute of Securitas, to my knowledge. I suspect that its representation here is merely as the decorative arm of the throne upon which the Goddess sits. The orb is definitely an attribute of hers, suggesting her governance over the security of the world (the Romans were well aware that the earth is round), patricularly the Roman Empire, and not the Cosmos, which makes no sense in Roman theology.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »
But it's such a specific and conspicuous decoration that it's hard to believe it is just random.  As a similar example, there are several coins showing Concordia resting her arm on a statuette of Spes, which is certainly not random.

On the denarius of Commodus, the top of the throne is visible.  It is plain and rectangular, without any of the ornate finials found on many thrones; in fact it is just sketched in at an odd angle, so a winged mythical animal on the arm seems an unlikely addition unless there was a reason for it.   But I think you are right that the reason is not connected specifically with Securitas.  Perhaps there is some other factor relating to this issue that might explain it.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 06:46:35 pm »
This variant not noted by the usually sharp-eyed Cohen.

No mention of it on denarii in BMC, and the two illustrated specimens indeed omit the sphinx.

BM 108, sestertius, pl. 108.7, however, notes the sphinx in a footnote:"Arm-rest on rev. shaped like sphinx (?)."

No mention of the sphinx in the brief discussion of this type in Kaiser-Raiss' dissertation on Commodus' coins, p. 39.

I indistinctly recall noting the sphinx on denarii before; maybe I wrote it into my BMC that I lost to bagsnatchers in 1999! Or maybe I just noted it on another sestertius like BM 108.

I don't know whether this detail has ever been noted and discussed in the scholarly literature; I rather suspect not.

Your point about the globe is a good one and deserves following up!
Curtis Clay

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:03:17 am »
Interesting! I have the sestertius of this type somewhere and somewhat worn but I will have to dig it out and see if I can see it on mine!

Well I've dug it out and photographed it and there's something there but I can't tell what it's meant to bea Gryphon or not?

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 03:30:15 pm »
Hi Philoromaos!

I don't know wether it is a gryphion or a sphinx. But a sphinx would be likelier I think. The sphinx, very early associated with Athena, was then a guardian being too, at temples or tombs. And a touch of safety would well match the idea of Securitas.

Best regards

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 03:38:39 pm »
Thanks! I did mean to write sphinx, I can't think why I wrote gryphon. I feel a little stupid now  :-[

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 09:12:53 pm »
There's not a great deal of difference between a gryphon and a sphinx, actually. Gryphons tend to be depicted with wings and shinxes without, but that is not always the case. In any case, they are similar concepts, both being symbols of divine power and guardians of the divine.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity