Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek owl  (Read 828 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Greek owl
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:31:58 pm »
I am starting to discover Greek coins, but am hopelessly lost with this one. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
Re: Greek owl
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:01:11 pm »
Apameia in Phrygia, 2nd-1st cent. BC, with eagle over maeander pattern between caps of the Dioscuri. There are several examples (with different magistrates' names) illustrated in Wildwinds.

Francis

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:48:10 am »
Much appreciated Francis. How did you know where to look when I may ask?

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:56:23 am »
The coin is well known and the reverse is clear enough for identification. Wildwinds is a good identification site, for me it was the first one I've used for many years. Now I try to querry acsearch as the first information database for identification, but wildwinds remain an excellent online ID tool.

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:04:09 am »
Much appreciated Francis. How did you know where to look when I may ask?
Simple: In the days when I collected broader than I do now, I had one of these coins. Experience is a good first resource...
Normally I would then use a catalogue, but yesterday to save time I quickly checked on the internet. ISEGRIM is far and away the best site for Asia Minor, but it's in German; there are the old BMC catalogues, now available online on FORVM; once upon a time there were the CoinArchives, now alas of little use to ordinary collectors; and there are the useful (but still growing) identification sites like Wildwinds and acsearch, god bless them!

Francis

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 03:04:22 pm »

Actually Isegrim is available in both English and German, though not very transparent in either language:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=44094.0
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 07:55:32 am »
SNGCop 168 Apameia, Phrygia. AE22. ca 133-48 BC. Helmeted head of Athena right, in high-crested Corinthian helmet and aegis / APAMEWN, eagle alighting right on basis decorated with meander pattern, flanked by caps of the Dioskouroi surmounted by stars, magistrate FILOKRATOUS / ARISTEOU below. SNGCop 168; BMC 104ff.

I see KRATOUS so this looks close but perhaps you will make out other legends.  Of course I have no idea how if/how many other names ended this way since I do not have a complete list.

I think I can see elements of FILOKRATOUS / ARISTEOU on this coin. And the listing in Münsterberg (Beamtennamen) doesn't offer any likely alternative:

http://www.snible.org/coins/library/muensterberg/phrygia.html

Francis

All coins are guaranteed for eternity