Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus in Britannia - TV programme in the UK, 1 July 2010  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Severus in Britannia - TV programme in the UK, 1 July 2010
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 06:00:01 pm »
This is typical C4 that has the American "scholar" Gates of Harvard(?), Beckford of some lowly UK University and Darcus Black as credible scholars of the alternate  black history genre.

Can't speak for the others, but I know Robert Beckford. He's not that bad!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 06:00:53 pm »
If it had been solely a racially motivated program, and given that it could be argued the previous government finally beat themselves following "bigot-gate", wouldn't it have been better to have featured Constantine?  After all, most anti-immigrant sentiment that I pick up in the UK news is about eastern Europeans.  ;D
regards
Mark

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 12:42:28 am »
Well, the history of Britain is indeed one of repeated invasions, for example by the people for whom England (Angle-land) is named.  In that, we are hardly unique.

The Romans are among the few invaders who didn't stay.  So as far as the series premise is concerned, the programme said, in essence: some Africans came to Britain and then went away again.

As for the Trafalgar programme, the presence of foreigners and freed slaves in the British navy is hardly news either, especially to anyone who has read Patrick O'Brian's books or knows a bit of history

So the series is mostly aimed at people who haven't read much and don't know much.  But there were some interesting things in them,  for example Nelson's battle strategy, which is not often explained.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 02:52:22 pm »
Such complaints?!  At least you Brits have an audience that might possibly know who Sept. Severus was. In the USA history is paved over every generation or so. Antiquity is pre-1950.

I did see a superb forensic documentary (on Public television) on the bodies found in York not long ago - presumably men killed on the orders of Caracalla after his father's death.

rick2

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 02:58:18 pm »
it was a programme made for the general public who does not know about roman history in details.

and it should be taken as such , on the other side would it had been more deep and provided more historical details it could have alienated more people.

remember that joe public reads the currant bun , not the FT

All coins are guaranteed for eternity