Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ken Peck - before and after  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Ken Peck

• Legionary
Ken Peck - before and after
« on: June 27, 2010, 06:03:41 pm »
I'm new at this. But I don't think I'm going to accomplish much more with these. The before pictures may be better than the after. :-[ I also had the middle coin backwards (reverse with the obverse; and obverse with the reverse; I kept that in the after photos.) I've indicated the inscriptions I can read in bold; italic is supplied from other descriptions of similar coins. I've added spaces; hyphen indicates a split in the inscription.

A. Martinian (July-September 324)

AE 21, weight 2.3 g., die axis 180°, obverse D N MARTIANVS-P F AVG, radiate bust right, reverse GLORIA-EXERCITVS two soldiers standing, extending arms holding standard, one on left holds spear in left hand.

Identification based largely on portrait and ANVS?AV? on the obverse and ???ORI??? on the reverse. The rest is illegible. If this attribution is correct, this should be an unusual coin, as Martinian, a pretender at the time of Constantine I, lasted only a couple of months.

B. Constantius II (337-363)

AE 17, Weight 1.8  g., maximum diameter 17 mm., die axis 180°, obverse DN CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped and cuirassed bust left; reverse, FEL TEMP REPARATIO, soldier spearing fallen horseman, mint in ex is illegible.

Similar to RIC VIII 110, but not as heavy. This coin had some sort of very hard, black substance on it. There is still a bit on the obverse and more on the reverse. I hesitated to do more because I was down to bare metal in places. The portrait looks to me like Constantius II. The inscriptions on both sides are illegible, as is the mint mark. The reverse could be as described; it is hard to for me to be sure because of the black stuff.

C. Constantius II (337-363)

AE 17, weight 1.7 g., 17 mm. die alignment 45°, obverse D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right, reverse FELTEMPRE PARATIO, soldier spearing fallen horseman who is clutching horse’s neck, CONSB* in ex.

This coin appears to be a smaller version of RIC VIII 81,B or RIC VIII 82.B. There may be a Γ in the reverse left field as in the RIC examples of the larger coin, but this area of the coin is damaged.

When I posted the before pictures, I was asked what the black stuff was. At first I thought it was just dirt, but actually it is a shadow cast as a result of a depressed fracture that runs on the obverse from the bust’s ear hook-like from the left shoulder to the upper lip. On the reverse it is raised and runs from slightly left of the lower center to above the center and turns 90° to the right. I think it was fairly recent as the exposed metal appears to be bright. Sort of a pity, as I think this one cleaned up the best of the lot, with much of the inscription legible.

D. Constantius II (337-361)

AE 17, weight 1.6 g., diameter 17 mm., die axis 180°, obverse DNCONSTAN TIVS laureate bust right, reverse SPESREI PVBLICE; ex: ?SIS (Siscia-Sisak, Croatio)

All but the ‘D’ on the obverse are legible; only SRE and LICE are legible on the revere.

E. Valentinian II (375-392)

AE 15, weight 1.6 g., diameter 15 mm., die axis AE 15, weight 1.6 g., diameter 15 mm., die axis 350°. Obverse D N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG (?), pearl laureate bust right, reverse SALVS REIPVBLICAE (?), maybe victory advancing left holding trophy in right & dragging captive with left, cross right.

There is quite a bit of corrosion on this coin. This is very much a wild guess based on portrait and possible match of the reverse design, especially the ΧΡ. It is like RIC IX 86a and much of the description comes from that source. Valentinian II was four years old when his father’s generals declared him “Augustus”. The portrait is obviously that of an adult.

F. Constantius Gallus (351-354)

AE 13, weight 0.8 g., diameter 13 mm., die axis 10°, obverse CONTI?? ???ITAO?, diademed, robed bust right, reverse VOT X MULT XX or perhaps VOT V MULT X.

This guy seems to have a big nose like Constantius Gallus, but I’ve not found the reverse type for him. If the reverse is VOT V MULT X, then the X is really badly placed—under the M. The “MULT” is skewed downward with respect to the VOT. The die doesn’t look to have been well executed. The coin was struck off center so that any exerge would never have been on this coin.

Green patina is broken off revealing corroded bronze in many places on both sides.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Ken Peck - before and after
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 10:22:44 pm »
You added the before obverse pic twice, below is the before reverse pics. Not too bad...at least they are not all stripped! ;D 

Chris

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity