Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The votive Vrbs Roma  (Read 1968 times)

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
The votive Vrbs Roma
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:48:40 am »
The votive Vrbs Roma

Between 347 and 348, the anverese of Vrbs Roma was combined with reverse VOT XX XXX MVLT.  This issue of thid small votive coins (14-16 mm in diameter) took place only by the mints of Heraclea and Nicomedia.
For Heraclea, there were two issues involving two Officinae (A and B: Ric 49 and 56 respectively, identified by a dot in front of the initials of the mint). Instead for Nicomedia there was only one issue, rare although has been performed by five workshops (A, B, Δ, H, Θ).
Due to the small size of the module, generally less than that of the issue, often the exergue is barely visible. Therefore the specimens where is secure identification of mint and officina, are to be considered quite rare. (I haven't sure samples of Nicomedia).
Not infrequently, illegible or unclear Vrbs Roma votives of Heraclea proposals by sellers, are attributing to mint of Nicomedia.

In parallel, there was also the issue votive with Constantinopolis in anverse, emitted from Heraclea and Cyzicus.

If you have other images, in addition to those I posted below, post them too!  :)   Thank you

Antvwala

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
Re: The votive Vrbs Roma
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:03:06 pm »
Hi Antwala,

Thanks for starting this thread, I've been curious about these for awhile. :)

I have four or five (at least two with legible mintmarks). I will try to get pictures of them up soon!

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:09:24 am »
Thank Matthew!
At moment, I don't know sample of Nicomedia with readable exergue!

Antvwala

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 02:17:58 am »
These are my first attempts at coin photography, so hopefully they're not too horrible looking! (Well, not all the coins are beautiful anyway....)

The mintmarks are not as legible as I remembered, and I think based on what you posted above that they are all from Heraclea. One has a bungled mintmark, but does not otherwise seem imitative to my eyes, but I'd appreciate any further opinions on it - or on any of them!

Coin #1: (dot?)SM??

Coin #2:  :dot:SMH?

Coin #3: (illegible; and the picture may a little out of focus on the obverse)

Coin #4: SMHB (S is bungled)

Coin #5: ???B (I would guess SMH for the first three letters, but they are even harder to see than the final B, which is a bit clearer in person)

The coins have also been added to my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=25239

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 06:43:46 am »
Thank you very much, Matthew!

First coin is Heraclea, 2th emission
2th coin is Heraclea, 2th emission
3th coin don't know (Nicomedia?)
4th coin Heraclea, 2th emission, dot SMHA
5th coin dont' know (Nicomedia?)

Style of bust is same in first, 2th and 4th coin; it appears to me different (less elegant!) in 3th and 5th coin. Also wreath appears different in 3th and 5th coin (see figure).

Do you think about this possible difference between Heraclea and Nicomedia mint?
Bust of Heraclea is better elegant that Nicomedia?

Antvwala

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:13:24 pm »
5th coin is Heraclea Oficina B: I don't understand if it is Ric 49 or 56.

I don't know sure coins of Nicomedia (with readeble exergus).

Antvwala

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 10:42:37 pm »
5th coin is Heraclea Oficina B: I don't understand if it is Ric 49 or 56.

I don't know sure coins of Nicomedia (with readeble exergus).

Antvwala

Thanks for the information! To me, the busts of 1, 2, 4, and 5 (despite the dirt) all look similar.

I'm not sure I see the pattern in the wreaths that you refer to - it looks like there are three different types. But it is hard to see because some of the coins are so worn.

The tops of the wreaths on 2 and 5 are definitely different, but 1, 3, and 4 almost seem to be a third type. Or maybe they are similar to the wreath of coin 5, but more worn? The oval on the wreath for coin 5 seems bigger than on 1, 3, and 4 though, and has a star inside the oval?

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 05:39:11 am »
Your photographs are excellent. Unfortunately, this money rarely exergue is readable in a certain and, moreover, often the difference between N and H is uncertain ...
I wonder if there really is an issue of Nicomedia....

My hypothesis that with analysis of the oval of wreath it's possible to separate types of Nicomedia those Heraclea, is totally wrong, as I have found by analyzing other votive coins of these two mints...

Antvwala

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 02:20:22 am »
Hello!
These are all votive coins Vrbs Roma with  illegible exergue.
According to you, some of them might be of Nicomedia (based on the style of bust or legend)?
A friend of the Italian section of the FAC, he thinks that the exergue No 11 maybe SMNA: what do you think?
Thanks.
Antvwala

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 10:41:02 am »
Hello!
The coin 07 in previous image is of Nicomedia, Officina  :Greek_Theta_2: (finally I know a coin of Nicomedia:) )
Now I have keeped up the image with other 3 coins.
I am sure that you recognize and read some of these exergus!  :)

Antvwala

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 09:13:43 pm »
Hello!
The coin 07 in previous image is of Nicomedia, Officina  :Greek_Theta_2: (finally I know a coin of Nicomedia:) )
Now I have keeped up the image with other 3 coins.
I am sure that you recognize and read some of these exergus!  :)

Antvwala

Great! And I am impressed that you're able to recognize anything about coin 07! What details led to you think it was Nicomedia  :Greek_Theta_2:?

For coin 11, Nicomedia A may actually be right... I looked at the coin upside down in different lighting, and the third letter does look a bit more like an N than an H from that angle, and the fourth letter could be an A. I guess I would be a bit surprised based on the style of the portrait, but it could be right.

I'll see if I can get a better photo that captures it. Maybe this makes two coins of Nicomedia :)

(I only see one image with 13 coins from your last two posts - do the coins have the same numbers in the two images you refer to? I assume so, but just want to check).

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 08:34:30 am »
Hello!
The previous coin No 07 (now been replaced by another) presented a theta (the only point visible) at end of exergus and this is only possible for Nicomedia.

Even an Italian friend in the coin No 11 sees an N rather than H.  :)

Antvwala

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 08:38:19 am »
These are all votive VrbsRoma  for which I have an image:

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 12:07:53 am »
Here are a few different views of the mintmark for coin #11:

I think the bottom left shows the third letter to be an N most clearly. The top left maybe does show the last letter to be an A, but it is harder to see.

Also, the dot to the left of SM looks odd to me, less like a dot and more like an S. What do you think about that?

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 05:53:26 am »
It seems to me to read SMNA!
In Ric is writed the existence of tree Officinae: Ric Nicomedia 53: SMNB  -  SMN :Greek_Delta:   -  SMN :Greek_Theta:  But I think that it is possible other Officinae...  :)

Antvwala

All coins are guaranteed for eternity