Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: D you know Coinage from Khanaser mint?old dead city of Syria  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Hi all;
I would like to know if somebody knows something about islamic coinage of "Khanaser"-old dead city of Syria,near Aleppo:link below,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/syalp/tags/khanaser/
S.Album didn't mention any coins from this city,and there is no References to any coinage from this city as far as i know.,especially during Umayyad period.
Since several days i did my own research to see if there is any coins struck at this city,the result was negative.
All comments are welcome
Regards
Nsssif

dltcoins

Re: D you know Coinage from Khanaser mint?old dead city of Syria
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:51:27 pm »
What is the Arabic spelling?

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: Do you know Coinage from Khanaser mint?old dead city of Syria
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »
Exactly KHANASER...
I wrote to S.ALBUM to know his opinion,but nothing in all his registers about this city...waiting for his reply..
Nassif

dltcoins

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:46:54 pm »
ﺧﺎﻧﺎﺳﺮ ?

Offline alexius

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:20:29 am »
For what it is worth, the entry on Wik calls this old city Anasartha. No sign of any Ayyubid and Mamluk mint in the references I have and in the 6th century it seemed to be Byzantine (hence the ruins)

bakkar

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:22:25 pm »
Yes Nassif, There is Umayyad fals from Khunasir.
The right spelling is Khunasir  (and not Khanaser). spelled also "Khunasira" by some Arab references. 
I think it is listed RRR in Album
Bakkar

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: Do you know Coinage from Khanaser mint?old dead city of Syria
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:20:48 am »
Hi Husni;
Can you give me the Ref.in Album about this mint that you classified RRR?I can't find nothing in his check list of islamic coins 1998?,may be you have the new one?Even nothing in Mitchiner or in any numismatic literature?I would be very grateful if you can give also some description about your coin[if you accept?]
thanks in advance for your valuable help & contribution.
Nassif

bakkar

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:49:07 am »
Salamat Nassif
Oooops...this is definitly  Abbasid coin not Umayyad. You will certainly find it in Album.
No Umayyad coins are  published from this mint.
Description: Obv: center: Mohammad Rasulullah, border: A'la yadayy A'bd al-Karim
bin Habib bi-khunasir
Rev.center: La Ilaha Illa Allah. border: Bismillah , Amara al-Amir A'bdullah bin Salih.

Since Khunasir was under "Jund Hims" in Umayyad and early Abbasid times, You can find the names of both amirs on another Abbasid coin from Hims but their
names are seen in the center. I
Regards
H.Bakkar

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:24:29 am »
Hello Husni;
Really thanks for your help & contribution,on your coin,i guess the Emir was from khanser or ben Khunser but no traces of Khanaser as mint even during Abbasid period.I still looking since several days regarding this mint,but still nothing coming,amazing city...at least it exists...
I really appreciate your help and i am sure if you didn't see any coinage from this city,nobody else will see.
Thanks for all
Nassif

bakkar

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 01:07:55 pm »
Dear Nassif
 "Ben Khunasir" are two separate words, but this is not the case on the coin. It is a city mint "BIKHUNASIR" in one word comes after the full name of "A'bd al-Karim bin Habib".
I have seen this coin twice and got one.
Album is not a person who commit a mistake like this. "Kunasir" is very clear as a mint on this coin.

Best regards
H.Bakkar

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 01:27:52 am »
Dear Husni;
you are right,i trust you.you are may be the best in islamic coins but i still waiting for S.Album Ref.about this mint,so please don't forget me..
thanks in advance for all
Nassif

bakkar

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 05:31:58 am »
Thanks Nassif, I think you will not receive a reply from Album at all
since he does not reply questins like these. In his book he listed "Khunasir"
as an RRR Abbasid fals, and that is all.

Best
H.Bakkar

All coins are guaranteed for eternity