Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: how best to prevent silver coins from tarnish  (Read 9523 times)

Damian P

how best to prevent silver coins from tarnish
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:06:39 pm »
I just received my first ancient silver coins, and they are extreemly beautiful.  One of them is fairly shinny, and I was wondering what is the best way to store them to prevent tarnish?  Does it take away from the coin if it darkens because of handling?   What is the feeling about this among collectors?

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: how best to prevent silver coins from tarnish
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:15:00 pm »
generally 'toning' is considered to be an advantage, especially if it is even and pretty.
most coins that are extremely shiny have perhaps been a tad overcleaned, and many collectors prefer it when time gives them back a bit of their character. this is not only for aesthetic reasons, but a nice toning can highlight the features of the coin and add a certain depth, and there are those collectors will actually pay a premium for this effect.

there probably isn't much you can do to prevent this in the very long run, but you may find that you won't want to anyway.

~ Peter

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:21:07 pm »
I also agree that toning can be nice, but to keep it from doing so, keep it out of contact with air for long periods of time, or anything that contains much sulphur.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:45:14 pm »
I have occasionally bought silver coin specifically FOR the toning alone! I am a sucker for the deep blues and purples and toning that shines irridescent in the light. It certainly does not diminish value in any way and can even slightly increase it if the toning is particularly attractive.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:21:55 am »
If a particular coin in your collection develops an unattractive tone it can easily be removed, but, as everyone else said it can be quite attractive and enhance a coins appearance.  It can also be fun to watch your coin tone over time, though a slow process, it is quite enjoyable. 
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:49:14 pm »
This is a good opportunity to show my "Black Beauty" again. I wouldn't want all my silver coins to look this way but it seems in character for Domitian and I like the unusual appearance.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 08:35:25 pm »
I agree a nice dark tone is beautiful.  After all these aren't modern coins that should be enclosed in a tomb forever so they stay shiney.

Daverino that is a great Domitian!  I'll share my Otho:

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 05:09:14 pm »
Trajan and Hadrian. I wouldn't want to lose the 'tarnish'!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:35:59 pm »
Here's some toning I would never think about touching:
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

All coins are guaranteed for eternity