Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange Backward "R" Lettering??? Part of a Horse?  (Read 840 times)

Doug L

Strange Backward "R" Lettering??? Part of a Horse?
« on: June 04, 2010, 02:12:57 pm »
Just seeing if anyone can help with these strangely shaped coins? Or pieces of coins - they were bought by someone in the military many years ago in the middle east. 

Can't find anything remotely similar.

If anybody has any clues let me know - thanks.

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
Re: Strange Backward "R" Lettering??? Part of a Horse?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:23:34 pm »
Russian coins are not my area of expertise, but this is Michael Fyodorovich Romanov  1596 – 1645. Kopeck with St George on horseback, maybe?
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:16:41 pm »
What looks like a backward R is the Cyrillic letter "ya," which is the final letter of the Cyrillic alphabet. Alone, the letter is the first person singular pronoun in Russian and some other Slavic languages.
Your coins are both Russian fractional dengas or kopecks, hammered silver "wire money" (so called because of their mode of manufacture).
These were made under several late Medieval Czars and depict either St. George or,as some authorities suggest, the Czar on horseback with a spear. St. George seems more likely, although no dragon is portrayed.
These are, as Snegovik states, coins of Michael Fyodorovich Romanov (his name is partly readable on the second and third  lines of both coins -- in the old style of the Cyrillic alphabet then in use) and would have been struck sometime between 1613 and 1645.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:22:06 pm »
Molodets!  George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »
Molodets!  George S.
כל הכבוד גם לך. יהודה ג.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:37:58 pm »
Looking back at your post, it looks like you have three, not two coins. The two with the reverse (inscription) side showing are both Mikhail (Michael) Romanov. The middle one I don't know without seeing the reverse. Presumably perhaps the same, but this obverse was used for many Czars for many years.

Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:41:55 pm »
Molodets!  George S.

спасибо!
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Doug L

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 04:13:42 pm »
I would like to the thank you all for a very good job.   I really appreciate the information.  Who knew that there we that many folks who appreciated the ancient coin world.  What a good find this site was with so many coin experts.  Again, you guys are great!  Thanks.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »
Actually, these fall into the category of modern coins, rather than ancient, though they are very old as modern coins go. My focus is on Roman coins but I love this kind of stuff, too.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity