Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 06:42:10 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin)  |  Topic: acsearch.info update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: acsearch.info update  (Read 7515 times)
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam

« on: May 30, 2010, 11:45:07 am »

Some of you may already have noticed that we have updated our search engine acsearch.info. The most important new features are:

1. No browsing anymore: in the frame-view, one can now scroll down the search list instead of browsing to the next page after each 20 entries. This should make the search for coins faster.
2. Discussions: all entries can now be discussed. This is not to start a new coin forum but to provide the possibilty of correcting descriptions or identifying fakes.
3. Auction search: with the advanced search options, it is now possible to search specific auction houses or auctions only, or to look for a specific lot number of a specific auction.
4. A list of all participating auction houses and dealers has been added.

If you have any questions or helpful suggestions, please let us know.

www.acsearch.info

Simon Wieland
Markus Beyeler
Lars Rutten

dougsmit
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:01:29 pm »

If you have any questions or helpful suggestions, please let us know.

I love acsearch and value it as a quotable tool when answering questions on Forvm from people who would have been well advised to research your site before posting here.   However for my own personal needs/desires the database suffers from having been compiled from the limited list of sources.  This is especially a problem because most of the sources are middle to high end sellers.  The site is weak on the normal, the cheap and the unpopular.  Forvm discussions often include postings of very rare and unusual coins in my favorite specialty (Septimius Severus) which it would be nice if could be cataloged as existing even though the coin was not sold by one of the big houses.

There are several searches that I have tried which would have been pointless were it not for the inclusion of the sales arm of Forvm simply because Joe sells a wide variety of coins not just the high end material of most of the other sources.  I would love to see the input list include more wide spectrum or low end sellers (perhaps vcoins?) so acsearch would allow us to pull up coins unlikely to make the cut in big sales.

More, I would like to see the advanced search facility expanded to allow options to avoid searching the windy additions of some sellers that mention the name of half a dozen other rulers, historians with the same name as a ruler (Procopius, Tacitus).  I realize this would require someone imputing the data rather than simply cutting it from the provided listings.

I would suggest making the information in "Search manual" more obvious on the main page. 

This may be hard:  It is easy to search what seems like a fair search but miss postings by other sellers because they used different descriptions or languages.  For example searching Anonymous Pagan finds all of the postings of these coins by Forvm but not other sellers.  It would be nice if we could click on a coin that fits our desired results and have the system suggest other similar examples of substantially the same coin even though it was labeled in a different manner.

Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 05:54:59 am »

Doug,

thanks for your comment! The question of adding other dealers or selling sites is not an easy one as it would require permission from all the involved parties. But we certainly plan to expand the database in the future with sellers that give us the permission to use their data, such as Forvm and cgb, who both generously offered us to use their data base. We also constantly expand the database with current auction offerings.

I will talk to Simon (who does the programming) about your other proposals. I suspect that some may be difficult to implement.

Lars

areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 06:12:33 am »

There was a discussion on the German forum a while ago about creating a thesaurus so you'd only have to search in one language. German, English and French would be useful. As long as you could choose whether you wanted to use it and
were careful what you put on there I think it's a good idea.

Finding every entry with the word 'or' when searching for 'gold' is what I remember as a bad example.
There are probably more.

dougsmit
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 04:39:03 am »

Finding every entry with the word 'or' when searching for 'gold' is what I remember as a bad example.
There are probably more.

Great example but he problem starts well before we face muliple languages.  The most common problem I have found is the false positive (by the hundreds).  Search, for example, on "Septimius" and you get all the entries from houses that provide  a complete history of the third century with every lot as well as those who quote from a volume of a reference subtitled "Septimius-Geta" etc.  Apollo is a hard search since he appears on so many coins and the name stays the same in various languages.  It would be nice to exclude all the coins with just his head or all Greek issues but adding -head or -Greek is not the way to find things. 

The database is a wonderful resource but as it grows it becomes only as useful as our skills in maniplating the search tools.  We are better off having too much data with a partial chance of retrieval than to exclude things without good reason.  Perhaps  a simple stp would be achoice of search area where e could search only a part of the database based on a menu selection (default = all).  Simple might be to separate coins by metal: gold, silver and other.  Next might be categories Greek, Roman and other.   

Roma_Orbis
Consul

ad avgvsta per angvsta

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:04:34 am »

The database is a wonderful resource but as it grows it becomes only as useful as our skills in maniplating the search tools.  We are better off having too much data with a partial chance of retrieval than to exclude things without good reason.  Perhaps  a simple stp would be achoice of search area where e could search only a part of the database based on a menu selection (default = all).  Simple might be to separate coins by metal: gold, silver and other.  Next might be categories Greek, Roman and other.   

Utopia would be that every provider (source) of data provides it in a normalized format, so that every input record can be properly classified in the Database, with appropriate standard tags: metal (gold/silver/bronze/copper/electrum/...), period (Greek, Greek Imperial, Roman, Late Roman Byzantine, ...).
Problem here is that every auction house tags its data according to her own classification, making the sort of data quite difficult.

Jérôme
Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 03:12:20 pm »

Simple might be to separate coins by metal: gold, silver and other.  Next might be categories Greek, Roman and other.   

I've seen this exact question asked elsewhere before. I understand it isn't possible because acsearch is simply a text search - unless the originator put the word "silver" in multiple languages in the item description it won't give a correct list. There are no categories in the input data, just a mass of words that can be searched. Since the input is not categorised, it's impossible to categorise the output.

However there are very simple solutions. Search for other things, such as Drachm or Tetradrachm or design features - "Owl" will find a lot of Athenian coins, "Janus" will find lots of Roman Republican bronzes, "Repub*" will find lots of - you guessed it. Also remember language differences (Repub* caters for both Republic and Republik).

Just be clever in what you search for and you will find it.

xanthos
Praetorian

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 06:39:50 pm »

It's not the first time, we have this discussion. We had it before in the German Numismatic Forum.

To build a thesaurus is not only a lot of work (ACSearch contains data in five different languages), but also very complex and, furthermore, it slows down the speed of the search engine. I could include it as an optional search parameter, but it's still a lot of work Wink Imagine there are probably 1000 important words (emperor names, location names, animals, personifications, etc.), plus their synonyms, multiplied by 5... If there is one or maybe a few volunteers, who are willing to do this work, it will be a pleasure for me to include this option.

However, as Andrew said, it's almost impossible to categorize the data, as there is no coherent format. But I'm working on a programm, which is able to detect the name of the emperor, by which a coin was struck, even if other emperors are named in the same text (of course only for imperial coins). But I can't perdict, if and when this programm may be usable.
dougsmit
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 07:14:29 pm »

I don't believe changing the input data is a reasonable thing to ask but it would seem that the entire database could be split (at input) into separate databases which could be included or excluded by the user by checking which databases were to be searched.  I suggested that 'all' should be the default but 95% of my searches would benefit by being able to exclude coins of the wrong metal or major authority.  If I really wanted to see both Imperial silver and Greek gold in the same search, the option would be available but most of the time we know whether a coin is, for example, gold, Greek or not.  Of course there would be some group lots that would be impossible to classify but I doubt many of us are benefiting from seeing the listings of diverse group lots.

Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 04:10:39 pm »

The problem is that any additional categorizing costs a lot of time, which we currently don't have. Like Andrew, I believe that many search problems can be avoided with clever search terms. Of course that needs a bit of practice.

We are pleased to announce that we have added 26 auctions from Numismatik Lanz (Nos. 94-148, all ancients) to acsearch today, with a total of approx. 22'000 coins. All in all, we now have about 320'000 entries in the database.

Lars

Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 06:14:25 am »

We are pleased to announce that we have added 26 auctions from Numismatik Lanz (Nos. 94-148, all ancients) to acsearch today, with a total of approx. 22'000 coins. All in all, we now have about 320'000 entries in the database.

Lars

Lars

We are graetful for the reappearance of the various German auctions. Some of these are very important in that M&M, Lanz etc have tended to have longer runs of more academic material that can be crucial for research purposes.

I'm heading there rightaway to check what's uncovered by the Lanz additions,

Aarmale
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 06:05:35 pm »

I just went to www.acsearch.info, but I got this...!!!

Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פלפלתא חריפתא ממלי צני קרי
casata137ec
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 07:23:03 pm »

Gahhhh....me too! DNS registry issues I imagine.

Chris

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691
areich
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 01:50:33 am »

According to an announcement on the German forum it's a server move.

goldenancients
Magistratus Optima Lege
Caesar

Danny Jones

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:14 am »

Any word on when it will be back up?

areich
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 02:15:41 am »

'As soon as possible.'  laugh

They have now added a note to the site, which is really necessary since it really looked like the site had been stolen from under them from the outside.

Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 02:54:28 am »

We are moving to a faster and more reliable server. The site should be back online later today.

Lars

Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 04:38:28 am »

The site is back online now. The search engine seems to be a lot faster and we hope that everything else is working fine as well. Please let us know if you encounter any problems.

Lars

rover1.3
Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 04:41:46 am »

Super fast,no problems
Thank you!
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 05:19:09 am »

Thanks for the feedback. We also made some adjustments to the search engine the last weeks. You can now search more specifically with the advanced search options, and you can also search for two-letter-words now (such as "AE" or two digit-numers).

I also hope people enjoy the new Coin of the Week section.

Lars

Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 02:07:20 pm »

We made some adjustments to the site. One new feature is the possibility of creating and sharing bookmark lists: if you are logged in, you can add any database entry to a list by using the "bookmark" button. Bookmark lists can be shared with friends or in discussion boards by using the "Public URL".

Here is an example:

http://www.acsearch.info/bookmarks.html?id=5386db4a54d13645e52a244c1d16189b

Lars

Taras
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 01:04:01 am »

Hi,
I have a problem with acsearch since yesterday.
If I clik on a specific auction on this page http://www.acsearch.info/auction_list.html... I can't anymore access the page of the specific auction, instead now I see a search page for the lots of the auction i chose (the scroll list on the left), but I can't scroll down the search list, and I can see only the first 25 lots!

Taras
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 01:40:09 am »

Problem solved, I had to modify the search settings.
Thank you for the mail Simon!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin)  |  Topic: acsearch.info update « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop