Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unidentified republic horseback rider  (Read 623 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Unidentified republic horseback rider
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:40:43 pm »
Not sure if I am 100% correct but I can detect (P)ISOFRV on the reverse. 18 mm; 3.25 gr. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

The silver quality is a lot better than the other coin I posted earlier this week. I still don't understand which factors cause that heavy corrosion on silver coins.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Unidentified republic horseback rider
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:48:05 pm »
Hi, you will find the coin on acsearch.info, searching for 'PISO FRV'.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:08:10 pm »
Hi, you will find the coin on acsearch.info, searching for 'PISO FRV'.

Andreas

And it's a lot more fun if you look for yourself. I'm not saying we won't help you, but I am saying it's easy to find and you learn a lot by searching for yourself..

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:36:04 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Knowing where to find it makes it a lot easier. it must be this one then:

C. Piso L.f. Frugi. Silver denarius. (Rome, 61 BC. Bust of Apollo right, wearing taenia, sequence mark behind / Horseman right; below, C. PISO L.F. FRV / sequence mark. Crawford 408/1b. Hersh O201 / R2028 (new combination). Obverse struck in high relief.

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:53:54 pm »
Not exactly. It's a little tricky because this coin was minted twice: under moneyer L Calpurnius Piso Frugi 90 B.C. (your coin) and again under his son C Piso L F Frugi (the coin you found).

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=56092

Stefan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity