Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Questions about choosing coin flips  (Read 3164 times)

Offline billy1632004

• Legionary
Questions about choosing coin flips
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:52:51 am »
hi everyone,

I'm a new collector of roman coins mainly AE3/4, I'm confusing which type of coin flips should I purchase?

penny size (19mm) or another? should I purchase two types, like 100 dime's + 100 penny's?

Also, if I do not clip the flip after I inserted the coins, will the coin flip loosen?(I would put that inside coin album tho)

Also, will the coin stay in the centre or they fall down to the bottom of the frame, let say if the coin is 17mm and the flip is 19mm, becasue I have no idea how firm a coin flip can hold.

Thankyou very much for all your support.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Questions about choosing coin flips
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:41:05 am »
There's pretty much a standard size of flips that is pretty firm but AE4s might fall out, depending on how you store those flips.
I personally don't use the flips anymore, they're just in the way. Clipping them is even worse, ancient coins have to be touched.

The flips and the tags can be found here, very cheaply:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=861&pos=0#Coin%20Collecting%20Supplies

I prefer trays nowadays, something like the attached. They can be stacked and are more easily accessible than the BEBA
boxes and can be had very cheaply at shows, especially if you buy sizes that are not so popular with collectors of modern coins.

Andreas

Andreas Reich

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:37:54 pm »
The 2x2 flips that are available here at Forum are the best I have ever used.  Almost any coin will fit in them from an AE 4 up to a 10 cash, they have space for a label if wanted and fit in albums nicely. On duplicate coins I often use a very small label, just enough for an ID number, then the reverse is visible without removal  The ones here have rounded corners and are a bit thicker and stronger than most, while remaining clear. 
I will probably get trays for at least some of my coins someday, as i like to handle my coins and often get them out to measure, etc. But keeping then protected and labeled in flips is often nice. 

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:45:29 am »
Hi Billy,  and welcome to Forvm

the flips you are describing sound like the cardboard ones collectors use for modern coins (  top photo )   you should avoid these as they contains PVC, which is harmfull to the coin over long periods. they also prevent you from handling the coin,  and obstructs viewing and the space to write the required attribution is severly limited  (  plus in my opinion  are ugly :) )

the second Photo is what Crawforde was describing,  these flips will hold anything from the smallest coin to larger and thicker coins  ,  the coin can be easily taken out, seen from both sides, lots of room for attribution.  Some of these also contain PVC,  so you'll have to be carefull where you get these from.

the ones from Forvm  are safe for long term storage,  and as Crawforde said are thicker and of better quality than most

here is the link to forvm,s flips or to the page they are on,  they are called  SUF500. Crystal clear archival safe coin flips (  they don't show up in the seach for some reason  )

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=861&pos=0#Coin Collecting Supplies

I cannot comment on the trays  as I have never used them

hope this helps

Once again welcome to Forvm,  I know you'll enjoy yourself here

Offline billy1632004

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:47:51 am »
hi, Johnny

First of all, i have to say thank you as you had answer me in a professional way.

Morover, I may cutting those double pocket into separate pockets, making it 1000 flips in total.

It is beacuse I want to save money+ I am not expert enough to insert attribution.

Now I am interested to buy those plastice flips from FORVM, just a few questions regarding that:

Is this flip PVC free?

Is it suit into a 2x2coin flip holder as those cardboards does(with and without cutting into half)?

How am I going to pay and how much is shipping to Australia?

Thank you once again.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 03:48:10 pm »
If you cut them in half your coins may fall out.
Andreas Reich

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 04:02:47 pm »
Areich is right,  cutting them in 2 will make it very easy  for thre coins to fall out.  the coins are actually held in the folder by the 2 halves being folded together with both openings on the  inside

Forvm  does sell these in smaller lots

SUF100. Crystal clear archival safe coin flips, package of 100, 2" X 2" archival safe coin storage clear flip envelope (safe for long term storage), PAPER INSERT FLIP TAGS SOLD SEPARATELY; $8.85 (€6.55)

and 

SUF1. Crystal clear archival safe flip with tag, archival safe coin storage clear flip envelope (safe for long term storage), with white paper tag insert, each; $.25 (€.19)

both found on this page

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=861&pos=0#Coin Collecting Supplies

these flips are 2 "  by 2"  so they will fit the same pages as the cardboard holders.  but  as far as cost and how to pay,  I'll have to refer you to Joe,  the owner of Forvm

I'll send him an e-mail to tell him to read this post

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 04:05:29 pm »
I am not expert enough to insert attribution.

Just to add,  if you require attribution help  the identification help section is the place to go,  Forvm  has lots of members that can help you with your attribution needs,  these members are experts in this fields

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:44:48 pm »
I may cutting those double pocket into separate pockets, making it 1000 flips in total.

It is beacuse I want to save money+ I am not expert enough to insert attribution.

You might be later. It is a good plan to learn something about your coins if you are, after all, collecting them.

Also, you won't save money if your coins fall out of the flips, which they will if cut in half (as has already been noted)...
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 05:16:50 am »
I am not expert enough to insert attribution.

Just to add,  if you require attribution help  the identification help section is the place to go,  Forvm  has lots of members that can help you with your attribution needs,  these members are experts in this fields

I might add : you're not expert enough "right now", but in a short future you might want to make full attributions to your coins and would have to buy another lot of flips then.... You'd better keep your money for coins  ;)

Regards
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity