Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius 18mm  (Read 621 times)

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
Marcus Aurelius 18mm
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:37:54 pm »
Obv ends in AVG
Rev. end COS III PP assume mars resting on sheild holding spear

Can't find on wild winds only the size of a danari
David V McCallum II

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Marcus Aurelius 18mm
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:15:26 am »
Maybe is was supposed to be a denar with plating worn out.
Could be RIC #384 or #396, but before "COS" should read
"VIIII". I see one "I" less.

Pekka K

taurisker

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 04:40:08 am »
What about a limes falsum?
That´s a possibility for that AE denarius!

Regards
taurisker

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 10:09:43 am »
I had thought of a foree but I can not find a trace of silve even under 15X along the edge or chips in the patina.
David V McCallum II

taurisker

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 03:21:03 pm »
... I think it is a limes falsum or better a limes denarius, a cast copper (or AE) imitation from the danube limes (northern borders of the Roman Empire).

There is a difference: limes denarii are in the size of denarii and limes falsa are immitations of bronze denominations like As, Dupondius or Sestertius ... these coins were casted for use as local coinage in the limes area when official money was not available or limited in supply. Most probably official coins were pressed into clay to form a mold.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity