Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julia Domna/Nemesis, Nikopolis  (Read 943 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
Julia Domna/Nemesis, Nikopolis
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:49:35 am »
AE 23 mm  6.90 g

This sad, savaged coin appears to be Julia Domna/ Nemesis with wheel, from Nikopolis.  The few coins that I could find generally meeting that description either had (a)different hair-do,  (b)Nemesis with hand down holding scales, and in one case (c)a different arrangement in the rev legend (e.g. Moush. 4048; and H/J 8.17.35.1).  Thanks much for any help.

Laney

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Julia Domna/Nemesis, Nikopolis
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:31:23 am »
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:59:50 am »
Archivum--what an interesting and educational discussion, especially about the Nemesis proper configuration.  While the portion of the rev legend just beyond the PO is not clear, bly measuring the relative distances compared to those on your coin, I would say that the legend is also misspelled on my coin.  Thanks very much.
Laney
P.S.  I prefer the spitting interpretation as being most likely

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 05:16:37 pm »
Your Domna / Nemesis is one of those that pre-date Gallus and probably coincide with the two years when Caracalla was Caesar.
Here is my smaller one, copper, probably a dyassarion:
http://picasaweb.google.com/slokind/STUDYNicopolisCoppersSmallBrass#5458800303387375986
And here is mine of the same module as yours, brass, probably a triassarion:
http://picasaweb.google.com/slokind/STUDYNicopolisCoppersSmallBrass#5456764412439640386
These are youthful Domna, still represented as slender and still with her hair in much the same style as Crispina's.
There are some intricate die linkis with other types, but I'll not get into them here.
Neither of those I have just linked to is the same die as yours, but two of us have been collecting images of the smaller aes at Nicopolis for the Severans.  Some of those for Septimius and for Caracalla as Caesar can be seen in the selection in this album that I've just linked to.  http://picasaweb.google.com/slokind/STUDYNicopolisCoppersSmallBrass#
It is not exhaustive, but the photos are legible, and they are sorted alphabetically (a few at the end are not yet sorted, but they aren't Nemesis).
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity