Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Searched uncleaned coins  (Read 5683 times)

ozalan

Searched uncleaned coins
« on: May 08, 2010, 01:05:36 am »
I’ve been cleaning coins for only a couple of years, and when I first started I found a page on a website that listed the twelve commonest coin types found in uncleaned lots.  I can still remember my first fallen horseman and two soldiers with standard(s) etc. Anyway I’ve now cleaned up a few hundred roman coins and have got examples of 11 of those twelve types but no Campgates. Now is this because they are now scarce or the more likely reason I suspect is, that not only are the dug up coins searched for gold,silver, early larger issues etc but also for collectable issues like campgates (I’ve no idea why these are so popular either). So what I’m trying to say, is that are the uncleaned coins going through so many people before they get to us “cleaners” that just about anything worth anything or unusual is taken out?

So
1)   Am I just unlucky and there are still loads of campgates in uncleaned lots?
2)   When was the last time you found anything rare in an uncleaned roman lot?
3)   The “old-timers” can help me out here; compared to say 5-10 yrs ago, do you think that the uncleaned coins are being sorted/cherry-picked more than they used to be?

Many thanks
Ozalan

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Searched uncleaned coins
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:14:57 am »
Campgates are just as common as any other type of late Roman and they can be found in bulk lots (I'm not buying uncleaneds as such) just as often as other types. Sure there are those people (but not that many), that enjoy collecting these and get excited by minor and boring variations (8 rows of bricks instead of 7  :o) but campgates are by no stretch of the imagination scarce or valueable. From how many different sources did you get those uncleaneds? Some dealers pre-sort them , so they can sell uncleaned FEL TEMPS or campgates separately,
maybe you got what was left?

Andreas
Andreas Reich

ozalan

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:42:43 am »
I've bought about 250-300 uncleaned coins from 5 sources and not one campgate, though I must have at least 30+ (probably quite a few more) Fallen horsemen.

What are your thoughts about the other 2 questions, do you think the coins are pre-sorted and cherry-picked more than they used to be and therefore the number of interesting/unusual types you find are decreasing?

Cheers
Ozalan

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 05:56:55 am »
It's not about cheap or expensive coins but rather that obsessively collecting minor and meaningless variants just to be 'complete' goes against everything that makes ancient coin collecting interesting. That's what modern coin collectors do. Out of all the pretty and interesting ancient coins there are, why choose something so boring to specialize in?

But apparently campgates have become more popular, I'll believe it if you say so.
I haven't noticed a difference at coin shows when I occasionally pick out a few nice late Romans to sell on
and I don't sell enough of them to notice whether campgates sell better.

Andreas Reich

ozalan

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 06:27:27 am »
Don't get me wrong I'm not at all bothered that I don't have a Campgate in my collection. I just thought it was an extremely good indicator that these uncleaned coins are well and truly searched for any interesting, scarce types before they get to me. I wondered whether the chances of finding unusual coins has decreased compared to a few years ago.

CzarMike

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 08:37:59 am »
Campgates are just as common as any other type of late Roman and they can be found in bulk lots (I'm not buying uncleaneds as such) just as often as other types. Sure there are those people (but not that many), that enjoy collecting these and get excited by minor and boring variations (8 rows of bricks instead of 7  :o) but campgates are by no stretch of the imagination scarce or valueable. From how many different sources did you get those uncleaneds? Some dealers pre-sort them , so they can sell uncleaned FEL TEMPS or campgates separately,
maybe you got what was left?

Andreas
OMG, I got every brick, turret, and open door combination SOOOOOO amazing!

Offline Gallia Albanensis

• Praetorian
  • Formerly "aaronburr."
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 03:00:51 pm »
I've gotten two campgates out of maybe 175 uncleaned coins.

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
  • Violent times..yet the beauty they created is here
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 03:29:17 pm »
I also began with uncleaned coins many many years ago and there has been a big difference in uncleaned coins then and now.  I used to get them with no detail, or very little, showing because of the mud, clay, dirt on them and ended up with a much greater variety.  Heck, you can almost attribute coins from the pictures of these "uncleaned" lots advertised now.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 11:13:12 am »
1)   Am I just unlucky and there are still loads of campgates in uncleaned lots?
3)   The “old-timers” can help me out here; compared to say 5-10 yrs ago, do you think that the uncleaned coins are being sorted/cherry-picked more than they used to be?

Many thanks
Ozalan

1) don't know, maybe...I hate cleaning campgates, so I purposfully look for lots without them (but that is not hard, so maybe they are at a premium, but I do see a bunch of "specialized" lots - ie campgates, horsemen, etc.

2) almost every lot I clean...but rare is relative. How much do you actually care if Victory's little finger is crooked one way as opposed to the other? If you have 100 Glor Ex types and you find one that has a rare mintmark, does it really jazz you up that much?

3) yes, but on the other hand I have become more selective in the lots I bid on or purchase (being broke helps! lol). The latest lot I am working (birthday present) has been great. Most of the coinage is common per RIC, but the quality is fantastic for an uncleaned lot. They were british dug and found together. There are good examples of Tetricus I and his boy, a few Gratian's, a couple of the Cons... family, a couple VBRS ROMA's, and some obviously barbaric imitatives (ranging in size from 12mm to 5mm). I ahve posted a pic below that shows the ones I ahve finished so far. Basically from this lot of 40 coins, I will get 20 or so pretty nice coins, 5 or so great coins and the rest are broken/worn/crap. Of the lots I have recieved in the last couple of years, this one has been the best. I would suggest simply buying less and going for better quality.

Chris

CLICKABLE
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »
Well I haven't bought uncleaned coins in a long time, however the last time I did I got an unlisted Julian II which is now the wildwinds examle.  The other amazing coin I got in an uncleaned lot was a Caligula As in VF+ condition.  I have a few campgates.  Everyone should have a few nice examples for their collection, however like Areich I can't get excited by rows of bricks or number of stars. 

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 05:30:00 pm »
Ozalan,

Just a few of my own observations.

Yes, I think uncleaned lots are being picked over more than they used to be.  Many dealers have told me that bulk Balkan lots are drying up.  Some say this is due to a major decrease in flow - less detection going on, regular sites picked over.  Others say it is because Balkan coins are being sorted more and sold individually and sold as bulk less.  I don't know the truth to these stories but I hear them from several dealers in several countries.  However, Holy Land/Middle East bulk lots remain in large numbers.

More to the point many people says that lots are more sorted now.  People sort by size and campgates tend to be fairly large and regular and easy to pick out even completely covered in dirt.  I have got some large lots from Israel, Jordan and Syria and they have very few nice AE3s - camp gates, etc.  Lots of smaller and lots of less regular shaped coins.  I notice many dealers who sell things like campgates and IOVIs and SOLIs individually but FTRs and Glori Ex and Gloria Rom and Securitas etc in bulk.  This tells me they pick out the "good stuff"!

I have found campgates and VIRTUS EXERCIT and VLPPs in uncleaned lots but they never seem to be nice quality ones... 

I recently got to poke through a lot of 12,000 coins which had come from the Balkans around 10 years ago and sat with a dealer who recently passed away.  A dealer friend of mine got them and is going to sell them.  They did have better quality than I have seen recently, more large and regular coins, etc  but they were still clearly picked over.  (My first examination handful yeilded a Galeria Valeria VENERI VICTRICI covered with much hard clay.)

Frankly, I get my best coins not in true uncleaned but in semi-cleaned unsorted coins.  These have been cleaned enough to get a complete or even close ID but have not been sorted or identified.  I have a couple of dealers who let me go through their piles of this stuff and pick out what I want.  It tends to come in price "groups".  Ie) $2 each, $5 each, $10 each, $15 each, etc.  (or Euros).  Here I find some really nice stuff for much less than I would pay when identified.  I guess some would call these "junk trays".  Some coins have clearly escaped full notice.  For example I found an ALAMANNI DEVICTA for the price of a SARMATIA DEVICTA (I think $20).  My favourite was a Constans AE2 FTR Falling Horseman which should be aVF when cleaned - yes Constans not Constantius II - (about $12).  Needless to say I am very loyal to these special dealers and in return direct all of my "allowance" their way....

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 05:11:15 am »
I understand what Andreas is saying though. Although we cant all afford those beautiful sestertii with the spectacular Spes reverses with the flowing drapery and all that, instead of spending X amount of $ on 10 Campgates, I would rather save the money to acquire that Sestertius. Y'all have to acknowledge we collect for different reasons.

What Andreas forgot to mention I think is De gustibus non est disputandum .  Collecting variants of a particular issue may seem 'numismatic' to some, but not for others.

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 12:39:46 am »
i definitely fall into the obsessively collecting minor variants camp - but I'm obsessed, so what can I do? :)

While I think Andreas has a point about the goodness of acquiring broader knowledge, I like to think I'm aiming for deep knowledge (that's one of my goals anyway - I'm still very much enjoying the journey of getting there). Virtually every aspect of Roman coin production/history/etc. is encapsulated within any given series and I think being familiar with the design and its variants helps one to see through all that into a coin's production.

Of course, I've also always preferred the Iliad to the Odyssey, so staying home with one series isn't so far afield for me as roaming further afield would be :)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 04:18:23 pm »
I don't think there was anyting lame or stupid about counting blocks on CG's. The number could have been significant, and there was only one way to find out!

I tend to lean both ways; when I get interested in a series, I want to understand every little variation. At the same time, I also value broader knowledge.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline aragon6

• Comitia Curiata
  • Praetorian
  • Violent times..yet the beauty they created is here
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 04:58:46 pm »
As there are so many varieties of coins to collect so there are as many varieties of collectors.  I am like RB in that I specialize but I come to this Forum to learn about other things as well so that I have knowledge beyond my specialty.  So if a collector wants to collect campgates and all their variations then more power to them.  You do not want to lose people because of their   collections being belittled.  :)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 02:22:21 am »
I haven't done uncleaned in a long time, but I'm thinking of buying a small lot of the Ptolemaic uncleaneds from Forum and leaving them as-is, to  perhaps have a little display of what coins are like as-found.

The cointainers never seem to come up for sale, though. I guess most are obliterated getting the coins out.

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59:21 am »
Cliff,

I would be interested in other responses to your question about the containers.  I have been interested in this question for a long time and have asked around - including talking with many detectorists in Europe and the Middle East.  My conclusions are as follows but maybe others know better.

1) Very, very few coins are found in, or with, their containers.  A group found in its container can be considered a hoard - a group of coins buried or hidden together at one time by one person.  These are a great resource as they can yeild a huge amount of information about coin circulation and the economy at the time.  I don't know what happens to the containers in these cases.  Containers can be seen with many famous hoards displayed in museums.  In the illicit trade I suspect that the containers are destroyed long before export and sale.  I don't know why they don't appear much with hoards offered for sale from legal source countries.

2) The vast majority of coin finds are singles, even if several "single" coins are all found in very close proximity - even a few inches apart.  One reason for this is that most detectorists work in agricultural fields.  The coins are found relatively near the surface.  While many of them may have been in a hoard in a container once this container was broken by plows or other agricultural implements at some point and the coins were scattered around the field.  The destruction of the container could have occured a few years ago or 1500 years ago or anything in between.  In some cases hoards may have been hidden in perishable containers such as bags which have rotten away.

In addition, if you read through archeologial reports it is clear that coins were also "depositied" individually or in very small numbers as they are usually found this way at archeological excavations.  Such "deposits" include the accidental loss of individual coins in markets or urban areas that are then found along ancient roads, sewers and waste tips.  Coins are found in small numbers in destroyed buildings.  They can be intentionally hidden in very small numbers.  A few coins were regularly put in graves in some cultures - ie many Chernyakhov culture graves.

Sometimes large groups of coins are found in a compact "find" without any container present.  This includes votive sites where coins were deposited for religious or superstitious reasons.  This was often the case of travellers or passer-by leaving a coin.  Such finds have included wells, springs, ford sites or other river crossings, etc.

3) There are many "faked" hoards offered for sale with their container, especially low end stuff on that famous auction site.  These consist of an apparently genuine ancient pot, or fragment(s) thereof, and a group of uncleaned coins.  I have physically looked at two of these supposed hoards both of which shared the same problems.  The dirt on the coins did not match the dirt on the pot.  Much more importantly the dirt on the coins very strongly indicated that the coins were found individually not in a group in a container.  Coins from a true hoard appear very different from coins found in the ground.  Hoard coins are all in fairly close contact - though with many tiny air spaces (unless the latter are filled with extremely fine sand or dust) between and betwixt them.  And the hoard was protected in some form of container.  Thus the hoard coins have far, far less dirt on them.  Such dirt is usually much finer.  And there are almost always indications of co-location.  Staining and "seepage" from one coin to another.   Patina such as malachite crystals, can form in a way which shows how the coin above lay on the coin.  Etc.  Also, in the two fake hoards I looked at many of the coins were very damaged (they were in fact semi-junk culls) in a way which appears to have indicated plow damage.  There were also some coins taht had been harshly cleaned then re-coated in dust while others still had thick dirt on them.  Some of these fake hoards are explicitly sold as hoards.  In other cases the wording is more careful and it does not actually say that the coins being sold came in that pot or pot fragments.  In any event, be very suspicious of such "hoards".

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

DirtyBronze

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 06:21:54 pm »
I’ve been cleaning coins for only a couple of years, and when I first started I found a page on a website that listed the twelve commonest coin types found in uncleaned lots.  I can still remember my first fallen horseman and two soldiers with standard(s) etc. Anyway I’ve now cleaned up a few hundred roman coins and have got examples of 11 of those twelve types but no Campgates. Now is this because they are now scarce or the more likely reason I suspect is, that not only are the dug up coins searched for gold,silver, early larger issues etc but also for collectable issues like campgates (I’ve no idea why these are so popular either). So what I’m trying to say, is that are the uncleaned coins going through so many people before they get to us “cleaners” that just about anything worth anything or unusual is taken out?

So

Many thanks
Ozalan

10+ years cleaner here

1) maybe - see above I think they are easy to find partially cleaned and usually cheaper than buying a questionable lot of 'uncleaneds' - have you tried small detector lots from england or spain? or lots of LRB's that need spruced up -

2) about 5 or six years ago there was still some ripe picking going on - large bronze with some really high grades were possible - that 1 excellent source for me dried up quick as I am certain someone decided to strike a deal with them - I did get about 70 nice big coins - and a dozen or so are really quite beautiful - I would be interested in high quality ae4 uncleaned lots but haven't seen any in a while - I can't remember the last time I got a lot that to me appeared dirty and unsearched - 8 years ago? after that is was just tougher to clean coins that required alot of work and luck

3) far more and darn near a huge waste of money - I have moved on to something different and might like to have a discussion on that in another thread on this subject but it might take a year for me to let that cat out of the bag as I see more and more people catching on - present company included - it is amazing what I am finding and it is a much higher priced mkt but with very few uncertainties -

my best piece of advice is buy when the shid hits the fan - aug 2008 to may or so of 2009 I went on a tremendous buying spree and picked up bargain after bargain after bargain as people cleaned out their closets and attics - when things are tough, illiquid assets tend to have the biggest drop in price  and there are far fewer buyers -

All coins are guaranteed for eternity