Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: yellow metal coin with cartoonish portrait?  (Read 695 times)

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
yellow metal coin with cartoonish portrait?
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:04:53 pm »
I got this coin in a batch of uncleaned coins from a Canadian dealer on eBay. It had the usual greyish-green dust on it but there was shiny metal showing so I cleaned it first. It quickly came clean with just a wash and a light brushing. I thought I was making a little progress in coin attribution but I'm stumped with this one. There are no readable inscriptions on either side. The reverse figure has a cornucopia and maybe scales; so perhaps it is Moneta. The portrait has this odd  sort of hollowed-out appearance--like a line drawing--but is nobody I recognize.

It is not even clear to me what the metal is. If it were brass (orichalcum), surely it would show some corrosion or patina. It would be nice if it were gold but a struck (there's a clear flan crack that goes right through) gold coin would not show the matte surface in the fields that this one does.

The coin is 24 mm at its widest, 7.87 g, die axis: 180

I'd be grateful for help.

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
Re: yellow metal coin with cartoonish portrait?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:21:47 pm »
I'd say pritty pitted bronze. Not as in nice pitted. I have a Macrinus with Tyche standing lft with rudder on globe in lft and cornucopia mine is less worn and is 24.5mm
David V McCallum II

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:33:45 pm »
Looks like a provincial Bronze, Possibly Macrinus based on the portrait. Can't make out enough of the reverse legend to guess at the city.....

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:09:27 pm »
The portrait on my coin sure looks like Macrinus--thanks. The curious thing, though, is that the coin is certainly pitted and worn but there is not a trace of patina or corrosion--it looks like a coin that has been stripped by electrolysis. Yet is was very dirty when I started cleaning it. Also, surely ordinary corrosion attacks a coin's surface indiscriminately. Whatever process pitted this coin somehow left the outlines of the portrait and reverse figure. I should mention, also, that in the recesses of the coin (the cornucopia and the little die-alignment holes--whatever they're called)the metal is coppery).

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:34 pm »
I have had a few coins with similar damage. Possibly a farm field find attacked by chemicals? Fertilizer etc? Not sure, but it's not uncommon.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 04:30:42 am »
Looks like a Homonoia reverse from Nikopolis ad Istrum. You can see how the last part of the legends is distributed in the fields.
Andreas Reich

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 06:34:43 am »
Just from my own experiances encustations build up along the outlines and save them a little more then the rest of the surfaces, but not always.
David V McCallum II

All coins are guaranteed for eternity