Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antonianus of Salonina - P M TR P VII COS in reverse, Please help?  (Read 611 times)

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
Hi all, I don't find this coin in RIC, can somebody help me?.

3.5 gr, 21 mm.
Obs: CORN SALONINA AVG
Rev: P M TR P VII COS, Pax seated l., holding olive-branch and sceptre, MS in exergue.
Mediolanum mint.

Thanks in advance.
Mario

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
Re: Antonianus of Salonina - P M TR P VII COS in reverse, Please help?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:58:55 am »
Could it be RIC 58 AVG IN PACE, Solonina seated left, olive branch in right hand pointing downward scepter in left MS in EX as in Wild winds
David V McCallum II

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:09:56 pm »
Hi,

This is quite clearly not the AVG IN PACE reverse although you could be mistaken on the basis of the design. The type is used by Gallienus and therefore is a plausible mule from the Milan Mint. I don't have my Gobl with me to check if he recorded it but I haven't seen this before and there isn't a spicimen in Ed Flinn's collection.

Interesting find.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:03:50 pm »
Looks like Göbl 1366, five specimens in his photofile, Milan mint as you say, catalogued as a regular coin, a dated variant of Salonina's contemporaneous AVG IN PACE type.

Göbl omitted this type from his alphabetical index of types, pl. 149, so at first I was thinking that it was totally unknown!
Curtis Clay

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 03:50:42 pm »
Muchas Gracias, David, Mauseus and Mr. Clay.
Saludos
Mario

All coins are guaranteed for eternity