Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any ideas about the identity of this coin  (Read 830 times)

ozalan

Any ideas about the identity of this coin
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:22:00 am »
Really hope someone on the board can help me out with IDing this coin. I got it in a batch of uncleaned Spanish coins. I'm assuming it's Islamic in origin by the characters on it but that's as far as I can get. Any help would be excellent!

Many thanks
Alan

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: Any ideas about the identity of this coin
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:48:45 am »
Hi;
-Yes its islamic coin.
-Pics are upside down.
-Script style looks late Umayyad-Early Abbasid.?
-Marginal legend little bit blundered:"Bismillah.....Sanat Khams Wa echrin wa meat.."Which means:"In the name of ALLAH.....year 125.."[of course it's Hegire year],struck during Al Walid II most probably.
-Very Interesting coin because restruck with Ali name beside Mohamad name on the Reverse..
Of course any 2nd reading is welcome.
Bests
Nassif

ozalan

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »
Thanks very much Nassif, sounds like an interesting coin. I'm a complete beginner on Islamic coins, are there any websites or books you could recommend  to help me improve?

Thanks again
Alan

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:02:36 am »
Hi;
What i recommend:
-Arabic coins and how to read them-by  Richard Plant[Seaby's Numismatic publications-London].
which is the base of your study in case you are intrested.
-As 2nd step:A Handbook of islamic coins.by Michael Broome [Seaby too]
good luck
Nassif
PS:Regarding Web site,just click on the net any link to Islamic coins or arabic coins,you can have a lot.But i insist on the 1st hand book...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity