Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: cleaning silvered cup coins  (Read 1912 times)

ozalan

cleaning silvered cup coins
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:13:15 am »
I wondered if you could help me with suggestions on how to go about cleaning these silvered cup coins. I've cleaned a few Roman coins before (couple of hundred I guess) but never any cup coins or silvered coins. So I really want to go about this the right way and not make a total mess of these nice looking coins. Please bear in mind that I live in Australia and can't get hold of a dremel (or anything similar) so it's all manual cleaning I'm afraid.
Suggestion of what to initally soak them in and then how to proceed would be really appreciated.

Many thanks
Alan

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: cleaning silvered cup coins
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 07:58:08 am »
Why can't you get a dremel?  You can't even order them from eBay or anything?  Is there a law?

ozalan

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:28:12 am »
Hi Renegade,
I could try and get one from overseas but I've been told that US voltage isn't compatible with Aus voltage over here so it wouldn't work (or explode!!!). If anyone knows different then let me know.

Offline larry c

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:46:24 am »
There are a number of power adapters made for travelers
that can be used with small devices, hair dryers, shavers, cell phone
chargers.

here's a link to power specs by country..

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm
“Do you have the patience to do nothing"

ozalan

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:00:37 am »
Many thanks Larry, I'll look into that, could save me a lot of time.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to tackle these Billion Cup coins?

Offline Gallia Albanensis

• Praetorian
  • Formerly "aaronburr."
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:05:20 pm »
I just did five of these ... probably from the same place you got yours, they look exactly the same.

I just heated some lemon juice in the microwave and let them soak in it for an hour. Then I gave them each a rub down with a cloth, followed by another hour in new, heated lemon juice.

After another rub down, most of them were done, only one needed a third round for some difficult spots.

Then I let them soak in a very mild washing soda and distilled water solution for 48 hours, to neutralize the acid.

They really came out well.

What a bear to attribute though, at least for me!

ozalan

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:51:51 am »
OK, I took one of the coins and soaked it in warm lemon juice for about 10 mins, took it out and wiped it with a cloth, then put it in fresh slightly cooler lemon juice for 30 mins. I took it out as I was concerned that black was coming off the coin rather than green.

Have I overdone the lemon juice? I'm a little worried about the lighter brown patches on the coin (see pics) below the figures on b1 side. Where they there before the soak or has the lemon juice caused them? How would you recommend I get the rest of the green deposits off? All help/suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Alan

• Praetorian
  • Formerly "aaronburr."
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:41:37 am »
That's pretty much what mine looked like, maybe just a little less green.

I have a few that have patches of brown and ruddy red that I think are soil. None of these patches are obscuring the details or harming the elegance of the coin, so I left them. I prefer mine to look a little natural ... some people like them perfectly clean, though. A matter of taste, I guess.

I left mine in the sun to tone up for a little, and then waxed them. You could probably pick out the green with a dental pick, but I'd probably leave it.

• Praetorian
  • Formerly "aaronburr."
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:26:16 pm »
Yeah, I mostly used the Byzantine Excel file that's hosted here on Romancoin.info. They have a tab for the trachy cups in there.

Note, I'm no expert for sure, but the Byzantine Excel files may not be as well scrubbed for errors as the Roman ones are. They probably don't get as much use. One of my coins contradicted the file, but I was able to find the proper type elsewhere. Overall, though, Romancoin.info was very helpful, as usual.

I've only been able to fully attribute two of the five, and had to surf around Wildwinds and Google Images a little, too, to get an idea of what these types looked like, since most of my experience is late Roman stuff.

Thankfully, they share a lot of symbolism with Eastern Christian iconography, with which I have a good deal of experience, so the religious personages and objects were pretty easy. Telling one secular ruler from another, though, has been pretty brutal.

I'm not up on Greek outside of what gets used on iconography and Late Roman coins, so that makes it pretty challenging.

My batch were in pretty good shape for this type of coin ... looks like yours are, too. So that helps.

That silvery effect would be quite excellent if it works!

ozalan

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 12:19:06 am »
Thanks for all the help Aaron (and others), I'm working hard to attribute the coin. Like you my experience is with late roman coins, so this is all new to me. That excel file from Romancoin. info is really good, at the moment the Wildwinds website seems to be down which is making attributing the coin more tricky. When I've sorted it out I'll put it up on the Identification help board, at the moment it's looking like a Manuel I but I have no experience with the iconography, great fun trying to work it out though. Will let you know when/if I dare put it in the oven!!!!!!

Thanks again

Offline abcoin

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 12:16:48 am »
Quite an interesting thread!  I have a few of these coins in the process of cleaning, and so far, they seem to be quite tough to clean without stipping them completely of any patina they might have.  Has anyone had luck cleaning these with a method that doesn't involve stripping the coin totally?  Apparently, it can have good results, but I'm just wondering if there is any way to preserve a more natural look?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity