Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian Fake?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
Hadrian Fake?
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:50:21 pm »
I purchased the this coin from a dealer and can return the coin but I am not comfortable enough in my knowledge to challenge someone else's authentication; so any and all help would be apprieciated.

The coin was listed as s3525
Three question marks:
1) The Obv matches 3525 but the rev is off
2) I have found fake listings but none match the Obv - some are close on the rev but not the same
3) The scary part - the edge which looks like it's been filed

The images are attached - hope I did that correctly
I have two others that I have questions on but will throw those out on separate threads

Thank you for your opinions

Offline vitellivs

• Caesar
Re: Hadrian Fake?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:46:07 am »
you should check marked parts...

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:55:43 am »
I take from your remark you believe the coin is fake and a cast.

How do you tell the difference between a sctrach, chip, mark createded by wear and one left from casting?

Offline vitellivs

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:56:11 am »
 you should take a look under microscope or magnifying glass... cast "damages" look unnatural and these are specific, some experience is necessary, as well...

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:44:08 pm »
Should be written up on a fake report?

Anyone else wish to weigh in.... or is really obvious. I'm just starting to learn so any comment will be absorded, any trick, clue etc. will help me in the future.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:30:27 pm »
I am not sure if vitellivs is actually saying it is a fake.  The comments are somewhat confusing IMO, but I think he is telling you to check those areas under a microscope to see if they appear to be purposefully put there during casting to make it look real.

I can't tell the difference from real and fake worth a darned, but am trying to learn as well.  I thought the coin looked good, but the spot on one o'clock on the obverse it questionable IMO.  Just a noob interested in the topic here and coin, and slightly confused like you.

Maybe someone will clarify the comments.

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:07:56 pm »
Thanks for the comment Renegade

The chip / crack at 1:00 actual wraps around you can see it again at 5:00 on the rev
I don't own a microscope - so any other comments are welcome

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:11:17 pm »
Your pics are big enough but a bit blurry.  Is it silver?  The picks look very brown (copper?).  When you say the reverse is off, what do you mean? 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:26:52 pm »
It is silver -seller stated 3.2g but I do not have a scale to confirm.
The only image I could find of SR3525/RIC98 was on Wild Winds. The Obv looks identical but the rev is different. The image on WW shows a different spacing between the PM and T and again between the P and C

Attached is the image from WW for comparison

Sorry Point and shoot camera

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:37:30 pm »
Is the edge filed? It kind of looks like it in the picture. I am by means an expert but there are reasons I wouldn't buy it myself. But I base this solely on the pictures too.
Very flat fields, unnatural appearing flan flaws, what look like casting pits and an unnatural wear. This is just my opinion for coins that I would consider buying. I admit that I am gun shy though. I can't imagine anything worse in coin collecting than finding out one or more of my coins may be fake. Myself, if I had any doubt and could return it, I would.
These are just my humble opinions. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 10:32:33 am »
The spacing differences are not important.  Ancient coins were struck with hand engraved dies.  Every coin will be different. Even coins struck with the same dies will be unique (though much more similar than coins struck with the same dies). 

If the edge has filing then it probably is a cast fake.  If not, then it is probably OK, but I can't say with any certainty from the photos.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline vitellivs

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 11:33:17 am »
I can't be absolutely sure about this coin, because picture is not so clear, but coin has lot of problematic parts, or parts which look problematic...

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 03:12:42 pm »
Thank you very much, this has been a very helpful experience

All coins are guaranteed for eternity