Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Chinese coin post etiquette  (Read 1732 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Chinese coin post etiquette
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:43:53 am »
After reading the last dozen or so posts on this thread I thought I would post my views on etiquette for discussion on this thread.  I am neither founder nor moderator nor even a large scale user of this thread so these are just my own thoughts/pieces of advice for whatever that is worth.

1) Do not post one word "fake" or "genuine" messages.  They are useless without some explanation of why this view is held.  If they are personal opinion they should be portrayed as such.  And, I will be frank, if anyone wants their personal opinion to be taken seriously then they need to build their credibility.  This is done by making detailled arguements.  Someone who has been posting hundreds of times over the last 4 years on this thread has more credibility than someone like me who is relatively new to it and thus when such an "old timer" says "it seems suspicious to me" or "I think it is fake" then their opinion often holds more weight.

2) Please read the entire thread before adding a new post.  When people have already replied why an item is fake, or when the initial writier themselves said they were sharing a fake, then there is absolutely no value in someone adding in "fake" much later.

3) Likewise, there is no point in adding "genuine" at the end of a thread unless the thread was made in an attempt to ask if an item was fake or genuine and if the view  is backed up with some explanation of why that belief is held.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Chinese coin post etiquette
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:40:22 pm »
I'm agree with you, it's why I always try to explain why I say fake. I also often to show a genuine to help others collectors to understand and identify the chinese numismatic.

Best regards

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 04:21:05 pm »
I think most of us need all the help we can get with these. If you can explain why something is genuine or fake, that will be an enormous help to everyone. One-word messages help nobody, and can be seriously misleading if they're wrong. It's hard to put much faith in them!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:31:48 pm »
Especially if these replies are posted months after the thread has lapsed into desuetude and merely parrot the consensus already established.  (Actually, they do a certain service by bringing a thread back into view for those who might otherwise have never seen it, and by allowing me to use the phrase "lapsed into desuetude," which I always have wanted to do.)  George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:44 am »
Most of these things are not specific to Chinese coins though.
Especially the last point by George is something I always find annoying and you see plenty of it. There's really no need to give a one-word response agreeing with what experts have said much better already.

If you disagree, a one word reply is just as useless.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:40:36 pm »
There's really no need to give a one-word response agreeing with what experts have said much better already.

Right.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity