Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Daniel Stewart - before and after  (Read 7651 times)

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
Daniel Stewart - before and after
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:57:35 pm »
The original "before" posting of these coins contains a discussion of the photography so I thought I would post the original photographs along with the "after" photographs in the one post. I don't own any of the RIC volumes so the RIC references are taken from Helvetica's extremely useful tables.

Cleaning notes and attribution:

Coin #1

This coin required no cleaning other than a wash. It has a beautiful dark green patina
but most details are gone.

Unattributed As, 26mm (widest), 7.19 g, die axis: 0
Obverse: head only, right, laureate
Reverse: standing, facing female figure, perhaps with sceptre in right hand
"S" in left field, probably "C" in right field
References: Wildwinds partial inscription search for ...TONINV... yields coins of Marcus
Aurelius, Commodus, Antoninus Pius, Caracalla, Diadumenian, and Elagabalus with ANTONINVS in the obverse inscription. To my eyes the portrait bears the closest resemblance to those of Antoninus Pius but also resembles many portraits of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus.

Coin #2

This coin was cleaned with repeated soaks in demineralized water followed by brushing. Dirt obscuring the inscriptions was carefully removed with a scalpel. The coin has a green patina with some bronze showing on high spots.

Arcadius (383-408) AE4, 14.5 mm, 1.29 g, die axis: 180, Siscia (384-387)
Obverse: Arcadius, bust right, pearl diadem, draped and cuirassed
Reverse: Victory advancing left with wreath in right hand and palm branch in left
Exergue: ASIS
References: RIC IX Siscia 39d (from Helvetica), Van Meter 42

Coin #3

After an initial soaking and brushing this coin began to disintegrate with large parts of
the patinated surface flaking off. Except for further soaks and rinsing, I stopped any
mechanical cleaning at this point. Some of the details used to attempt attribution are no longer evident on the existing coin and are taken from the "before" photographs, e.g. the pearl diadem.

Unattributed AE3, 16 mm (widest), 1.30 g, die axis: 180
Obverse: male bust right, pearl diadem
Reverse: Emperor walking right, standard in left hand, dragging captive with right

This is a GLORIA ROMANORVM AE3 which were minted throughout the Empire from 364 to 388 by Emperors Valentinian, Valens, Gratianus, Valentinian II, Theodosius, and Arcadius. To my eyes the portrait most closely resembles Valentinian II.

Coin #4

Most of this coin cleaned up fairly quickly with soaks and brushings. Small areas of
remaining dirt were carefully scraped off with a scalpel. There are two areas of
mineralization on the obverse that I left alone.

Constantius II (337-361) AE3/4, 17mm (widest), 1.45g, die axis: 0, Heraclea (337-341)
Obverse: Constantius II, head only, right, pearl diadem (the pearl diadem is inferred as
Helvetica shows no head only, laureate type with SMHB mint mark)
   Inscription: DN CON...N - .... PF AVG (DN CONSTAN - TIVS PF AVG - for the letter size there are too many letters for Constans who minted an identical coin)
Reverse: Two soldiers facing with spears, one standard between them
Exergue: SMHB
References: RIC VIII Heraclea 35 (from Helvetica)

Coin #5

What appeared to be just dirt on both sides of this coin hid areas of reddish corrosion
that could be reduced to the level of the coin faces but not removed. The coin otherwise has an attractive black patina.

Valentinian I (364-375) AE3, 18mm, 2.77g, die axis: 180, Heraclea (367-370)
Obverse: Valentinian I, bust right, pearl diadem, draped and cuirassed
Reverse: Emperor standing, facing right in military dress; in left hand, Victory with
wreath on globe; standard with cross in right hand
Exergue: SMHA
References: RIC IX Heraclea 4a (from Helvetica), Van Meter 45

Coin #6

This coin was by far the most difficult of the lot and provided the biggest surprise.
Removal of a thin layer of grey dirt revealed a black substance. Soaking and brushing
with a toothbrush and later a brass brush revealed bronze in some of fields and the tops of the inscriptions. The coin repeatedly became covered in brass from the brush without much of the black being removed and I worried about slowly abrading those parts of the coin's metal that were showing. Finally, a couple of soaks in mineral spirits and brushing removed most of the black and careful work with a scalpel removed the rest. Since the mineral spirits softened it, I suspect the black was a resin of some kind that protected the surface of the coin from oxidation as there is only a faint patina.

Constantine I (306 - 337) AE3, 18mm, 3.68g, die axis: 0, Ticinum (318-319)
Obverse: Constantine I, bust right, helmeted, laureate, cuirassed
Reverse: Two Victories placing shield on altar. Shield has VOT above PR; altar has an
eight-pointed star below a garland. The Victory on the left points to the shield
Exergue: ST (widely spaced; there is possibly a six-pointed star before the "S")
References: RIC VII Ticinum 87 (from Helvetica); Guido Bruck identifies a star below a
garland on the altar as minted in Ticinum

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Re: Daniel Stewart - before and after
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:03:18 pm »
Daniel,
I won't comment on the attributions because I haven't got time to look them up right now.  I just wanted to say that I think you have done a really good job on these coins.  The descriptions you have given of the difficulties you came across explain exactly why each coin has ended up as it has, and you must be pleased with the results.
regards
Mark

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »
really nice job on these!

For no particular reason, I am really impressed with number 6 - I wouldn't have guessed that so much detail was lurking under the dirt, based on the before photo.

Bummer about #3.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:05:24 pm »
Our first to finish this round! (and setting the bar high I might add!!!) I am usually the first, but this round is giving me the business...4 of the 5 are as good as they are getting, but the fifth is still being worked.

Great job, and good luck!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 03:59:32 am »
Daniel, with an entry like this you have a good chance of winning the next round, though I have not looked at other candidates.
I also have not checked your attributions but I don't really do anyway, just to see if the candidate has really tried or if they were lazy. If a coin is cleaned well it can be attributed at any time and if it's ruined during cleaning, what does it matter?

Great work!

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 12:04:14 pm »
Wow, great job - especially that #6 - nice coin! #2 and #5 are nice too!  Too bad about #3, but we all know how that goes.

:)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 09:20:43 pm »
I as well am extremely impressed with number 6.  You did a great job! You make me want to do this so badly. I do belive I will be entering the compitition soon enough.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 09:53:50 pm »
Wonderful work! Looking at your results makes me remember why I love cleaning ancients. I might even dig out a few today to see what progress can be made.

Congratulations on your results!

Danny

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 08:43:11 am »
Thanks very much for the kind words. I was very fortunate with the coins that were sent and, as a friend of mine says, "I'd rather be lucky than good." [He's from Tennessee; so he should know]

Dan

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »
Very nice work, nice coins and good job with the cleaning I bet you  don't stand a chance against me in the damnatio poll ;).

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:24:11 pm »
great job!

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • Romanorum Ancient Coins
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 12:49:53 pm »
Very nice job!  Yes, #3 is a pity, but it's obvious that bronze disease got much of it. The white stuff still visible after cleaning is still BD. If you just leave it like that it will continue to corrode, but if you keep cleaning it you'll end up with a slug. That's the painful reality of cleaning coins... You could treat it for BD, but at this point, as it often happens, you just have to accept its fate...

Saúl

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 12:06:26 am »
Coin #3 probably should have been cleaned by gentle brushing alone.  The problem was not bronze disease.  A delicate patina is NOT bronze disease.  I have seen plenty of coins that have a delicate patina that have been in collections for decades without change.  BD is something very specific and that isn't it. 

I have never seen white bronze disease.  The BD I have seen has always been light green.  If it really is white, it is more likely dried on detergent (Gringots?). 

I do see what could be a very small spot of bronze disease on the reverse of the as. 

You NEVER have to accept a coins fate if it has BD.  You only have to accept what has already happened. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 08:47:19 am »
Coin #3 probably should have been cleaned by gentle brushing alone.  The problem was not bronze disease.  A delicate patina is NOT bronze disease.  I have seen plenty of coins that have a delicate patina that have been in collections for decades without change.  BD is something very specific and that isn't it. 

I have never seen white bronze disease.  The BD I have seen has always been light green.  If it really is white, it is more likely dried on detergent (Gringots?). 

I do see what could be a very small spot of bronze disease on the reverse of the as. 

You NEVER have to accept a coins fate if it has BD.  You only have to accept what has already happened. 

I certainly was too aggressive with this coin -- it's a matter of "live and learn" and I hope, eventually, to be able to recognize these delicate coins before they're ruined.  The white showing on the coin is an artifact of the photography--the matte surface where the patina is gone shows white under the flash.

Dan

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 03:41:33 pm »
I'm happy to hear it's not the BD I feared! Even if it is at the price of looking like a fool...
Well, there you have it: a flash so powerful, it has revealed my BD paranoia... I apologize to all for the scare.

Mea culpa

Saúl

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 10:14:00 pm »
Saul,

I'm happy it is not bronze disease too. Thanks for your comments. Incidentally, I had a look at your website--a nice site and nice coins. I've got my eye on that Gordian III sestertius. Unfortunately, there are garden projects with claims on the budget. Maybe if the grass stops growing ...

Dan

Offline Romanorum

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 10:42:36 pm »
Dear Daniel:

That's an actual rule: Garden before coins. Period. Don't let any Gordian get between you and nature.

Saúl

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 05:42:36 pm »
#6 is beautiful.
Nathan
All the best,
Nathan

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 08:32:12 am »
Dear Daniel:

That's an actual rule: Garden before coins. Period. Don't let any Gordian get between you and nature.

Saúl

On the other hand...the garden will grow again, but will you see that sestertius for sale again?  ;)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:23 am »
Dear Daniel:

Saúl

On the other hand...the garden will grow again, but will you see that sestertius for sale again?  ;)

Chris

Talk about destroying a guy's equilibrium! Actually, the garden isn't growing very well--very poor weather here and an inventive starling (of all creatures) is tearing up my seedlings. And I still don't have that sestertius!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity