Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip I Sestertius with encrustations  (Read 7707 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Philip I Sestertius with encrustations
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 11:36:13 am »
Yeah...I do that fairly regularly. Most of the time it does not soften up the encrustation (every once in a while it will...but not usually), but it does usually make the crud stand out better. When I hit a spot that I need to take a break on a coin I will lube it up and let it sit for a night or two, wipe off the excess, and get back to work.  A little soap and water and vigorous brushing with a soft nylon brush will remove the vaseline.

Chris

(note: this can darken some patinas)
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 02:48:41 pm »
Yeah...I do that fairly regularly. Most of the time it does not soften up the encrustation (every once in a while it will...but not usually), but it does usually make the crud stand out better. When I hit a spot that I need to take a break on a coin I will lube it up and let it sit for a night or two, wipe off the excess, and get back to work.  A little soap and water and vigorous brushing with a soft nylon brush will remove the vaseline.

Chris

(note: this can darken some patina's)

Chris,

Are you saying that in a good way or bad way?

mz

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 04:03:05 pm »
In reference to what? :) If the question is about patina darkening, it does not matter to me one way or the other. Olive oil will darken a coin, no one seems to mind that, so I guess I am saying it as a side note...

Chris

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 07:16:02 pm »
In reference to what? :) If the question is about patina darkening, it does not matter to me one way or the other. Olive oil will darken a coin, no one seems to mind that, so I guess I am saying it as a side note...

Chris

I just wasn't sure whether you meant that as a good thing or a bad thing. However, as you say, it was just mentioned as a thing in and of itself :)

mz

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 08:55:55 pm »
Ave MZ et All!

As for vasoline, as Chris mentioned, it 'sort of' works, sometimes...

I prefer to use Deller's Darkener, instead. Not sure why, but perhaps the sulpher content in the product aids just a bit more? But it really does work well under similar conditions.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 03:43:35 am »
Kevin,

I am confused.  Two uses for, or effects of, vaseline were mentioned - softening encrustations and darkening patina

Do you mean you use Dellers, instead of valseline, to darken or to loosen encrustations, or both?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

DirtyBronze

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 11:07:17 am »
I'm going to have to try this on a few lower grades

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 10:37:24 pm »
Kevin,

I am confused.  Two uses for, or effects of, vaseline were mentioned - softening encrustations and darkening patina

Do you mean you use Dellers, instead of valseline, to darken or to loosen encrustations, or both?

Shawn

I think he meant that he uses it as a crust softener. I agree with Kevin, btw, Dellers works a bit better...but I am also broke and have more petroleum jelly around than dellers! lol Dellers will obviously darken a coin, btw.  ;D

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity