Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning AR Mauryan Punchmark Coin - Would You and how?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Cleaning AR Mauryan Punchmark Coin - Would You and how?
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:57:57 am »
 I purchased this nice AR Mauryan punchmark coin.  Would you clean it? If so, how would you best undertake the task?

pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
Re: Cleaning AR Mauryan Punchmark Coin - Would You and how?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:25:38 pm »
I do not recommend cleaning this coin.  There is nothing wrong with the toning and cleaning could result in a very unnatural appearance.  Leave it as it is   ;)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:28:24 am »
Soaking in lemon juice and brushing with a nylon brush would work...but like Bud said, you will lose what little toning it has. On the other hand...the coin is sort of mottled and the greenish-white junk in the punches bugs me enough that I might clean it anyway and let it tone back up naturally (and hopefully in a more even manner). :) It's really a matter of taste.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 06:00:02 am »
I also like the toning on this coin.  My only concern is whether the blue greenish encrustation is causing damage to the coin.

John
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:22:08 am »
Judging by the few of these that I have handled, they seem to be pretty high in silver content. With that said, I do not believe that the green crud is doing anything to your coin other than making it look a little funny. :)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity