Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina I's peacock before throne: mirror image of the usual denarius type  (Read 848 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
In the IVNONI REGINAE type on denarii of Faustina I during her lifetime, a peacock usually stands right before a frontal throne, and a slanting scepter on the left leans against the seat of the throne: see the first picture below.

Cicerokid has just uploaded to his Forvm gallery a mirror image of this type, which may be unpublished, and which I am therefore reposting here: the peacock stands left rather than right and the scepter leans against the right side of the throne rather than the left side.

Strack 406, pl. VI, is a comparable variant on which the peacock also stands left, but there the scepter is omitted, and one sees instead a diadem resting on the seat of the throne.
Curtis Clay

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Thanks, I've corrected it above: Faustina was probably too old by the time she became Augusta to require the aid of the childbearing Juno!
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I recently acquired a second specimen of Cicerokid's denarius, from the same rev. die but a different obv. die. Weight 3.38g, axis 6 o'cl.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity