Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sphinx Coin ID  (Read 2217 times)

a

Sphinx Coin ID
« on: April 10, 2010, 04:47:38 am »
Hi all,

Please help me with identification of this AE13, 0.8g.

O: Man's head right
R: Sphinx

I suppose that it is Alexandrian dichalcon of Trajan, but I can't find similar issue on the web.

Best Regards,
Explorer

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Sphinx Coin ID
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:11:38 am »
Did You check Egyptian Nomes?

Pekka K

a

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:34:03 am »
Thanks Pekka,
 I can't find nothing in nomes coins lists also.
Are there any other opinions?

Thanks,
Explorer

a

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:43:59 am »
I still can't identify the coin's origin.
Could it be defined as unlisted Alexandrian issue?

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:45:16 am »
A coiled serpent - Uraeus or Agathodaemon? I can check this when I get home from work in a couple of hours.

Francis

a

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:51:44 am »
Hi Brittanicus,

Thanks for your reply. What you mean "coiled serpent"? Am I missing something? I clearly see the sphinx and male head, but nothing else.
Please clarify.

Best Regards,
Explorer

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:49:04 am »
Searched Milne again and I found in Supplement #1252e
"Griffin seated r." but should read : HPA in ex. in front L IA.

Pekka K

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 01:37:37 pm »
Hard to say, but the sphinx style might be of Pamphylia (Perga). 

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 01:49:41 pm »
The griffin coin is a dichalkon of Hadrian of Heracleopolite Nome. It's Feuardent 3531, and is illustrated there, but (as Pekka K has noticed) the position of the lettering on your coin doesn't fit this, and the huge neck of your "griffin" would be quite out of proportion to the body. I've also found a photo of a specimen in an old French auction catalogue - and it doesn't look like your coin at all.
According to Emmett, the Nome coin is pretty common.
There is a griffin dichalkon of Trajan, of uncertain date, but it's excessively rare.
I believe that your coin shows a Uraeus cobra to right and is a dichalkon of either Trajan (year 3) or, more likely, Hadrian (year 2, 9, 10 or 14). I had several coins like this in my Alexandrian collection (sold a few years ago), and this looks right to me. The good news is that all these are very rare - much rarer than the Nome griffin!   ;D
I couldn't find an exact image online, but if you go to the Wildwinds Alexandria page and look at the Nero tetradrachm Milne 180 you'll see roughly what I mean (although this is an unusually chubby Agathodaemon snake, not Uraeus).

Francis

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 02:37:57 pm »

a

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 04:55:58 pm »
Thank you to all repliers.

Probably I so locked on sphinx/griffin that this does avoid to see any serpent's details. What supposes to be the Uraeus neck, for me seems as sphinx's wing rounded toward he upper end. I can't see even after microscope magnification any connection between this neck and the creature's head.
BTW, here is the Hadrian dichalkon with the Uraeus:
http://edgarlowen.com/b4164.jpg

Best Regards,
Explorer

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 07:06:47 pm »
The Marcus Aurelius coin is a very rare item (I'm surprised it went so comparatively cheaply). There are also little Uraeus coins for Antoninus Pius (likewise extremely rare). The Uraeus on the Hadrian dichalkon is facing the other way, of course.
Sorry that your coin is not a sphinx or griffin (you'll find those another day!), but do enjoy it nevertheless - it's quite a rarity.

Francis

a

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 06:15:53 am »
Thanks Britannicus,
I still don't sure what is the figure on this coin.  I had searched the web for Egyptian serpents, but no one does resemble the animal on the coin.

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 06:56:01 am »
Ah, well that's the problem with these tiny, often heavily worn, dichalkon coins. To make it more difficult, the obverses are anepigraphic (no legend!) and the reverse dies sometimes fairly crude (the die engravers had very little space to work with, and so the simpler designs are often more successful than the more detailed ones). Plus: These coins seem to have been copied outside Egypt, and thousands of rough "minima" have been found, for instance, in the dunes at Caesareia Maritima in Judaea.
Sometimes you have to go on probabilities, when you can't with 100% certainty pin down the ruler, mint, year or reverse type of a badly worn coin.

Francis

All coins are guaranteed for eternity