Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Time to Speak Out  (Read 79764 times)

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Time to Speak Out
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2010, 12:50:41 am »
There is nothing on any source I can find apart from this blog. No credible entity has thus far confirmed, let alone announced, this. I certainly hope that it is accurate.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2010, 05:41:25 am »
An article of interest appearing in The Guardian, regarding an interview with Greece's Minister of Culture, Giorgos Voulgarakis.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/jul/11/parthenon.arttheft

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2010, 12:25:12 pm »
Many of these objects would not exist today (certainly not in their present states of preservation) had they not been removed in centuries past. Regardless, there is a vast gulf of difference between individually unique artifacts of the sort discussed in the article and coins, which were minted in quantity for economic transactions.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2010, 03:13:15 pm »
The issue raised by the Greek Government, is a result of appearing on the market freshly digged (sic) hoards of small denominations ancient coins from the Greek mainland, which hardly could be found far from their place of minting.

Actually, the exact terms of the MOU rquest from Greece have not been made public, so no one knows the details. The public summary that has been released, however, suggests no time frame on when items were dug and states that the items involved include artifacts from the neolithic period through the 18th century, including coins, from within Greece's present borders.

Incidentally, I fear the jubilation about the Italian MOU matter being settled is premature. As far as I can tell, the State Department has made no decision yet.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2010, 03:14:12 pm »
Thanks Harlan and Curtiss
I just posted my comments in opposition to the restrictions on Greek coins with the State Department using the link provided in your e-mail. You made it real easy.
Maybe you could provide the link to Joe so he could paste it here.

Cameron
“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.”
Aesop   Greek slave & fable author (620 BC - 560 BC)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »
Andreas Reich

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2010, 04:22:11 pm »
I just submitted my comments. Be advised that we only have until the 22nd of September to submit comments to the State Department.  The more comments that are sent, the bigger our voice as a community will be, showing that the ancient coin collecting community might be relatively small, but is a proactive force that will stand against any encroachment upon individual property rights of numismatic objects, and that restrictions on the trade of ancient coins are both unfair and discriminatory. 

Danny

Online Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2010, 01:17:32 pm »
Dear Board,

Celtic coin researcher John Hooker has been keeping the Moneta-L mailing list informed on the current status and character of the commentary regarding the Greek MOU.  As has already been stated, the deadline for submissions is September 22, and it appears, as of today, that the opposition will lose unless something changes quick...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Moneta-L/message/97177

I thought it would be good to point this fact out and give everyone here a chance to make an informed decision before those in authority decide.   

Sincerely,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2010, 02:08:02 pm »
To quote a disturbing excerpt from the Moneta-L post that mark linked to above,

Of the last 100 submissions to the State Department, 91% are clearly in favor of stopping all commercial imports of any ancient Greek material into the U.S. 4% are against the MOU , 4 are in a docx format and 1 is blank. The total submissions received are now at 411 and including today, there are only six days left.

There was great participation of collectors regarding the Italian MOU in submitting their comments to the State Dept. We need this same fervor in participation for the Greek MOU.

If you haven't submitted a comment, please do so soon here:
http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480b4e289

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2010, 02:34:45 pm »
Yes, but how many of the "pro" are real and not just some Dorito-stained cretin filling out some sell us out form letter?  That's assuming those numbers even have credence. Also, couldn't such votes easily be coming from overseas?

We'll have to see what happens.  What's more frustrating than the arrogant demands of a third-rate country is that some Pierre Laval wannabe would agree so such demands, when they are so easily denied.

I'm not a big Greek collector, but the prospect of defying an unjust ban would make it mighty attractive to me.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2010, 03:45:26 pm »
Are there adresses (or at least countries) given?
They could be people from Greece.
Andreas Reich

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2010, 08:10:28 pm »
Quite disappointing,  FORVM has over 10000 members and yet there are only 411 comments on this issue submitted to the State Department and a lot of those are in favor of the ban and are being generated by the AIA and a few Universities.

Cameron 

Online Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2010, 08:40:53 pm »
Dear Board,

I believe the submissions are genuine.  Most, if not all, of the latest ones appear to be written by university students in the US.  They were most likely recruited by the professors.  What I wonder about is if everyone's comments have been successfully posted.  It wouldn't hurt for those who have already submitted theirs to check.       

If anyone wishes to submit their comments, please head my advice and make certain to sign them with your full name (and address if you are willing), and carefully proofread your remarks.  It was very distressing to read several that failed miserably on these points.   

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan       

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2010, 12:58:14 am »
I am wondering as well whether all the submissions in opposition have registered. I have received many emails from dealers about this matter. Surely these emailings have not been ignored by the collecting community. I know they were not ignored by me!
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2010, 01:07:33 am »
Yep, my point exactly - Mark; vote fraud.  Ok, maybe I'll change Doritos to beer-stained.   Kids dumb enough to fall for this crap are being indoctrinated by their professors (isn't the whole point of college to think for oneself?), and are hardly valid votes.  Most of these 'students' could not even point out Greece on a map, let alone know much of anything about history or the objects they're referring to.

Unfortunately, I'm not super-exited about most of the Greek mainland coins, but it would be too good of a statement to pass up.

Can't we just collect in peace?  How can the benign purchase of a coin hurt anything?  I can think of few things more benign than coin-collecting.  It would take someone pretty high on the Snidely Whiplash rotten-o-meter to want to take such a wonderful thing away.  Probably the type who kicks puppies.

I'll have to sit and await developments along with everyone else.  All we can do is resist to the max any attempts to confiscate our coins and any attempt to infringe on our ability to peacefully collect.  

I have no idea why the U.S. was dumb enough to agree to any MOU of any sort, but that was done before I was born (it was signed 1976 IIRC on one of these threads) so I guess there isn't much I can do about it.  Put one thing on the list; statues, what-not, and that opens the door to anything else.

The whole situation is positively revolting.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2010, 06:51:16 am »
I have no doubt they're genuine. It's easy to sell this as A Good Thing and get people to support it.
Andreas Reich

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2010, 12:12:48 pm »
Perhaps so.  There's always useful idiots, as Stalin said.  However, such polls have been long-time tricks to get the other side not to vote and give up.  We must at least give it our all.  It will probably not be until the spring or summer that we hear any results, based on the other case.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2010, 12:23:31 pm »
I agree with that. Everyone should at least leave a comment along the lines of 'I oppose import restrictions for (ancient) coins.'
Andreas Reich

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2010, 03:59:08 pm »
Success! Your Comment Has Been Submitted
Comment Tracking Number: 80b52ac0
Thank you for submitting a comment on the following NOTICES
Document ID: DOS-2010-0339-0001: Receipt of Cultural Property Request from the Government of the Hellenic Republic

regards
Mark

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2010, 07:35:39 am »
Apparently, the Greek embassy has gotten into the act, urging archaeologists to send in comments in support for this MOU, proving Greece is coordinating with the AIA. In one day, comments for the MOU almost doubled. Read about it here:
http://culturalpropertyobserver.blogspot.com/2010/09/greek-embassy-urges-us-archaeologists.html

Submit your comments if you have not already.
http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480b4e289

zoey

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2010, 11:22:01 am »
The purpose of ancient coins making just for exchange and be the currency for using among
the cities in the past. No one can claim as the owner,otherwise the U.S.government in next  1,000 years can claim the U.S.coins and banknote of the present time which using over the world back to U.S.A. as the owner culture of these ancient coins and note.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2010, 08:27:14 pm »
with typical government inefficiency the form is unnecessarily complicated, imo.

the drop-down menu has no simple 'State Dept' option, so which office do i address my comments to?

~ Peter

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2010, 08:37:47 pm »
Just use the link provided by areich in comment #142 fill in your comments and hit submit its' real easy

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2010, 08:58:37 pm »
thanks El Reye .
i was hoping to direct it more specifically in the hope that it might carry more weight. i guess i'll just leave a comment in the generic box then.

~ Peter

zoey

« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2010, 10:59:34 pm »
 My succes comment tracking no. :  80b53170

All coins are guaranteed for eternity