Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nicopolis Little Coppers and Small Brasses, Study Album  (Read 9006 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Nicopolis Little Coppers and Small Brasses, Study Album
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:03:43 pm »
[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
For the use of any of us interested in this bewildering class of copious issues without any governors' signatures, I have started with 60 images a resource in a public album purely for sorting them.  Anyone who signs up with Google can add images to it.  If a filename starts with a generic subject like APHRODITE, it will automatically alphabetize in the album.  You don't need a long description, but I shall add newly made measurements of mine as soon as I get all the images up.  Studying these really is different from studying the larger signed coins, even different from the larger unsigned ones.  Note that for the semi-autonomous, 8.0.--.-- is provided.  8.17.15.2, the APHRODITE presently first in the album, is the second (2) Aphrodite (15) listed for Domna (17) at Nicopolis, which is 8.  But those who have the books can add those numbers in the Titles if you just start the filename with the subject.  For example, APHRODITE K-DSC_0301 is the filename for that first picture; K means that the image is reduced to 1000 pixels wide.  You could use your own initial where I have K, if you wished.
Pat L.
The correct url is [BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN picasaweb.google.com/slokind/STUDYNicopolisCoppersSmallBrass#]
For a while I actually had two: I had tried to sort by Titles, but it sorts only by Filename or by Date.  It was easier to add SUBJECT in front of each filename and re-make the album.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Nicopolis Little Coppers and Small Brasses, Study Album
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:25:34 am »
But I have been marvelling at some of your specimens, and your photography is excellent.  I didn't know anything like that beautiful Bacchic baby from Philippopolis existed!

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:15 pm »
Like a certain little Harpokrates, that Bacchic Baby (my name, but the safest and probably most correct one possible) was one of history's greatest Christmas presents.  It was unique when I got it; another, not so well preserved, has been posted in Forvm, but that didn't prevent HrJ from copying from Mushmov, I think (not so good as Pick), for the Nicopolis one for Commodus.  The figure of an infant with Dionysiac attributes is used to express "The Spirit of Bacchus".  Uncommon sort of thing on coins, except for a few places, notably Nikomedia.  That little hunk of turf that he stands on, at Philippopolis, is itself a sign that it is taken from some piece of luxury art or perhaps from a painting.
Last night I made room for a bunch of unfiled AE26-29 of Septimius's family by removing 56 coppers and small brass from the NadI box "through JD".  And I just bought a Harpokrates, Auspex or Gentianus (the shared portrait style), that was recommended to me.  The 56 in question are mostly old and well acquisitioned ones, so I hope...  Photography is the easiest part.  Almost all of these, if in HrJ, are there using my flatbed scans.
Pat L.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:58:19 am »
I've added another 12, all of my Sep. Sev except a couple of Apollo Sauroktonos that I know you have better examples of.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:54:05 am »
This coin is not really very little.   

Elagabalus AE 26; 26.62mm, 12.7g; Nicopolis ad Istrum, 218-222 A.D. Obverse: Radiate bust of Elagabalus right; Reverse: Aequitas left; VF/aVF; nice portrait, superb style

I have several coins struck during the reign of Elagabalus, and this bronze has two distinctions: it was inexpensive, and it is my favorite.  In this portrait, I think that the die cutter captured in his compositon of Elagabalus's face a glimpse of self-awareness, a reflection of the insecurity of being a teenage emperor.

As Michael L. Meckler of Ohio State University says, "Thrust upon the throne, Elagabalus lacked the required discipline. For a while, Romans may well have been amused by his 'Merrie Monarch' behavior, but he ended up offending those he needed to inspire. His reign tragically demonstrated the difficulties of having a teenage emperor" (De Imperatoribus Romanis: An Online Encyclopedia of Roman Rulers and their Families http://www.roman-emperors.org/startup.htm. Used by permission).

On his website, Doug Smith says, "Coin style, if judged as good or bad, must be judged only on how well it reflects the spirit of the times that produced it" (http://dougsmith.ancients.info/style.html).

This is the same coin as 1007c in my gallery.  This is my photo using a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 lens set on f/4 for 1 second (Thank you Pat L).  Neither the obverse nor the reverse images were "touched-up" after their shots.

Jim

Click on photo for larger image.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »
Jim actually is making very good use of my first Nikon Macro lens, which (being lazy and having slightly older eyes) I didn't want to use on the DSL D80.  I knew it was a good lens, from my use with it on a Nikon F2, but had never used it on coins.  He actually bought it from me, halfway around the world, and I am so glad to see that I didn't cheat him and it didn't 'cheat' me.  My present lens is simply Nikon's autofocus, 1987, replacement for it.
Pat L.
P.S. I'll have those last 55 of mine up in the album as soon as Golf is over for the day (it is addictive, even to old ladies who only watch).

The 'little coppers' are all under 20mm and have no 'dimples' and include half-assaria, one assaria, and two assaria (denominations used differently by different writers: only at Tomis, perhaps, do we have any idea of how they were applied, and Tomis is different, as Regling and, earlier, Soutzo saw).  The tiniest-diameter semi-autonomous ones may weigh as much as ones with portraits.

The 'small brass' are typically 21-22 or 23 mm, depending on how hard they were hit and how hot the brass was, and weigh between 5 and 7 grams, with a few anomalous ones.  They are in those respects like those for Diadumenian with the reverse die marked  :Greek_Gamma: at Marcianopolis, which the  :Greek_Gamma: tells us are triassaria, and I assume, with the normal reservations (Marc. and N ad I are not quite alike if you compare their weight ranges), that they are all those triassaria  for empresses and Caesars.  In the period of Gentianus and, I think, also perhaps of Auspex, the coins with Septimius to left on obverse and those that go with them in this module are also, I think, triassaria.  At Nicopolis, Diadumenian's are not marked, but the brass Harpokrates and those that go with it, also should be triassaria like the marked one at Marcianopolis.

The Antonine small coins at N ad I are more comparable to those of Philippopolis, and some of them are even signed.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 02:56:39 am »
I now have added HrJ numbers to head the caption for each of the small coins, now temporarily nos. 98-149 in the album, following WREATH and running from ARTEMIS to ZEUS, but I have yet to run the sort to put them in alphabetical order with the others, because:
• I have these coins bundled in dozens (and 8 in a smaller bundle) but otherwise in no order at all.  Now that temp. nos. 98-149 are in alphabetical order, I can locate these, most of which need additional information, most easily left separate and only sub-sorted alphabetically, most efficiently as they are.
• The info most commonly lacking is an accurate diameter and an accurate weight, which also differentiate the coppers from the small brass.  Some of these were acquired when I was measuring on top of a pencil-box school ruler and had no scales at all.
• I find that I have just added 52 coins but I have 56 coins bundled and supposedly photographed.  These need to be identified and included.
I am glad that Septimius is done with; for no one else do I have so many.
Tomorrow I'll finish the captions and sort the whole lot.  Please, if I have made an error, tell me!  If something is unclear, that is an error, too.
Pat L.
DONE AND SORTED NOW.  Eyes tired, tell me if I metathesized any numerals or letters that you notice.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 01:10:01 am »
I don't think I will notice errors without going through the coins in detail against the book.

I know you have some more because they are already in your Sauroktonos album.

There are 153 coins in the album so far, of which only 19 are mine, so that is a lot of work from you and an excellent start, but many more are needed for any sort of die study.  So we need other people to contribute! 

Bill

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 05:35:39 am »
I notice that there are now 198 coins in this study album, and, though the total number, considering what eBay looked like a decade or so ago, must be much greater, the general range of styles and pairings seems to be beginning to emerge.  I notice that one can make additions anonymously (with a string of numbers instead of a name).  Every good photo seems to make a real contribution, and, having initiated the Album, I am glad to see it grow.  It cannot be an exhaustive database, but it can contribute greatly to one.  Also, it is different from Jochen's Addenda and Corrigenda, in that it is only the little, unsigned coins, which to some extent seem to have their own history.
Pat L.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 02:08:44 pm »
I realize this thread is a few years old, but the album is excellent, and I recently acquired this little gem. Feel free to add it.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »
obv. AV KAI CE - CEVHROC
        laureate head r.
rev. NIKOPOLI - T. PROC IC
        Hermes, nude, chlamys over l. arm, holding kerykeion in l. arm and purse in extended r. hand
ref. Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2013) 8.14.10.21

The new catalog with a personal dedication is now available. Send me a PM.

Best regards
Jochen

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 03:53:04 am »
Someone asked me how to get to my Nicopolis Little Coppers ...Study Album.
As Google promised, the link provided when the album was created in Picasa will continue to work:  see above, once it was fixed right.
Although it is possible, with great patience to find this material in Google +, that doesn't work very well and finding the album is very time-consuming.  Also, Google+ sacrificed all the captions!
Google has re-acquired and activated Picesa.  So, all should continue to be well, so long as you actually use the links I have given in Forum.
[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
I'm trying to keep an eye on those links, as well as to private ones in Picasa, where a real mess was made.  The little boy engineers at Google seem not to be much superintended.
Adding the HrJ numbers helped a lot, too.  And Jekov was right: this system of his is independent  of page numbers, spelling vagaries, new editions (pretty nearly, but so long as all the dies are illustrated (and not just those of which good-looking specimens are illustrated!), you will be above to locate the coins using it.
Pat L.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 07:58:11 am »
The link is broken.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 08:56:18 am »

Google killed Picasa last year. Unfortunately.

Pekka K

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 05:50:15 am »
It's a scandal. I have read that there was no warning before. What a loss!

Jochen

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 05:18:06 pm »
Today I found a link to the missed STUDY:Nicopolis Coppers+Small Brass of Pat Lawrence from 05.04.2010 on my harddisk:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/102498681030579488308/album/AF1QipNic9-u2dCAxLDRqQyspoj_2_unH8HZLU74LUHd?source=pwa

It contains 210 types. Enjoy!

Jochen

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:28 pm »
It is nice of you to save it .. +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity