Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 09:41:09 am
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Domus Aurea roof collapses. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Domus Aurea roof collapses.  (Read 1097 times)
Will Hooton
Comitia Curiata II
Caesar

SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!

« on: March 30, 2010, 07:14:01 am »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/7538038/Neros-Golden-Palace-ceiling-collapses-due-to-rain.html

TifJC
Praetorian

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 03:34:16 pm »

It is disappointing that historical architecture is crumbling.  Cry However, it is a surprise that Nero's house lasted so long.
Joe S2
Praetorian

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:22:05 am »

That is really too bad.  Every time I was lucky enough to be in Rome it happened to be closed.  At  this rate if I ever get to go back it will be gone  Embarrassed.
Paleologo
Consul

nulla die sine nummo.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:39 am »

Unfortunately the Domus Aurea renovation is just another endless italian story. Apparently the money for repairing this emergency will come from the funds already allocated for ordinary restoration, so don't expect the site to be open anytime soon  Sad

Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:58:59 pm »

I had been trying to get into the Domus Aurea since my first trip to Rome (1959).  There was always a reason...  Pat L.
Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:27:07 pm »

I wonder why they leave it buried, as the weight of the soil must add to the strain on the building.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Kained but Able
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 01:31:06 pm »

I had been trying to get into the Domus Aurea since my first trip to Rome (1959).  There was always a reason...  Pat L.

3 trips for me and closed every time. Anyone know what periods it actually was open to the public?

Paleologo
Consul

nulla die sine nummo.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:37:44 am »

There was a short period when it was actually open for the 2000 Holy Year, at least for small guided tours. Now it's closed again on a more or less permanent basis since 2005. I have always lived in Rome and I remember since I was a young boy that the DA was always "closed for restoration".

I don't know if it would actually be feasible to uncover the underground parts, they were used as foundations to later buildings and the large environmental change could easily damage paintings and structures.

Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar
fluffy82
Praetorian

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 08:45:40 am »

What a loss! I guess it's not feasible to reconstruct the collapsed rooms?

Luckily they have been thoroughly researched... Larry Ball's book is great on the subject.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Domus Aurea roof collapses. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop