Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domus Aurea roof collapses.  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!

TifJC

Re: Domus Aurea roof collapses.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:34:16 pm »
It is disappointing that historical architecture is crumbling.  :'( However, it is a surprise that Nero's house lasted so long.

Offline Joe S2

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:22:05 am »
That is really too bad.  Every time I was lucky enough to be in Rome it happened to be closed.  At  this rate if I ever get to go back it will be gone  :-[.

Offline Paleologo

• Consul
  • nulla die sine nummo.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:07:39 pm »
Unfortunately the Domus Aurea renovation is just another endless italian story. Apparently the money for repairing this emergency will come from the funds already allocated for ordinary restoration, so don't expect the site to be open anytime soon  :(
Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:58:59 pm »
I had been trying to get into the Domus Aurea since my first trip to Rome (1959).  There was always a reason...  Pat L.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 03:27:07 pm »
I wonder why they leave it buried, as the weight of the soil must add to the strain on the building.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:31:06 pm »
I had been trying to get into the Domus Aurea since my first trip to Rome (1959).  There was always a reason...  Pat L.

3 trips for me and closed every time. Anyone know what periods it actually was open to the public?

Offline Paleologo

• Consul
  • nulla die sine nummo.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:37:44 am »
There was a short period when it was actually open for the 2000 Holy Year, at least for small guided tours. Now it's closed again on a more or less permanent basis since 2005. I have always lived in Rome and I remember since I was a young boy that the DA was always "closed for restoration".

I don't know if it would actually be feasible to uncover the underground parts, they were used as foundations to later buildings and the large environmental change could easily damage paintings and structures.
Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar

Offline fluffy82

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
What a loss! I guess it's not feasible to reconstruct the collapsed rooms?

Luckily they have been thoroughly researched... Larry Ball's book is great on the subject.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity