Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Apollini Sancto/Genio Antiochini, can't recall ID #  (Read 579 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Apollini Sancto/Genio Antiochini, can't recall ID #
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:29:11 pm »
Ave!

Doh! AE 16mm

Time of Diocletian City Comm of Antioch, Apollo/Tyche and River God, etc, etc...

I just cannot recall any attribution # for this one, not even if it's in RIC....again.

Help me out, please!

Thanks,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Apollini Sancto/Genio Antiochini, can't recall ID #
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 09:46:42 pm »
Doug Smith wrote a FORVM entry on this a year ot two ago. He wrote that it was excluded from RIC for a reason I don't recall. Perhaps Doug can re-educate us.
Anyway, there is a Wildwinds example that ID's it as:
"Antioch Vagi 2954. Anonymous AE14mm Quarter-Nummus "Pagan Commemorative", struck under Maxininus II Daia. 310-313 AD. GENIO ANTIOCHINI, Tyche of Antioch enthroned facing, river god swimming at her feet / APOLLONI SANCTO, Apollo standing left holding patera & lyre, SMA in ex. Cohen 1 [Julian II], van Heesch 92."
PeteB

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:49:42 pm »
Ave!

Thanks Pete!

You're a gem!

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:52:23 am »
I have a vague rcollection that the reason the coin series is not in RIC is that, initially, the consensus of opinion was that they were struck under Julian II, so the writers of the volume for Maximinus II finished and published it. The volume for Julian II was still incomplete. Then the consensus changed to Maximinus II, so they were excluded from the Julian II volume. Ergo, not in RIC.
I think.
PeteB

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:48:26 am »
Hi Kevin,

This coin, often called a quarter nummus or twelfth follis, the exact denomination being uncertain, is assigned to the time of the great persecution of Christians under Galerius and Maximinus II.

I am told that the obverse of the coin shows the famous Tyche of Antioch which was made by Eutychides of Sikyon in the second half of the 4th century B.C. The reverse possibly represents the statue of Apollo of Antioch which was made my Bryaxis around 400-350 B.C.

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity