Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Removing Ren Wax  (Read 3424 times)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Removing Ren Wax
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:59:55 pm »
So I am working on a coin that is partially clean.  Actually, it looks pretty good except some dirt that they left on the lower areas.  A lot on the front, and some on the back.  I really am cleaning it to remove some encrustation on it.

Anyways, when I took the coin out of the distilled water to scrub at it tonight, I realized it appeared that the water ran off of it, and the coin is really smooth.  It also didn't get dull like my other coins when it dried.  I wasn't sure at first if it is just because I have never held a coin that clean before or not  ;D but I have decided that it appears to be waxed, even though it is not fully cleaned.  :-[

So, what do I need to use to remove the wax SAFELY so the water can get to the dirt and encrustation and I can get this bad boy cleaned?  Or will hitting it with the toothbrush be enough to remove the wax and get to the dirt underneath.

I searched online and here, but everything talks about applying wax.  thanks for the help.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Removing Ren Wax
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12:37 pm »
Boil it for about 10-15 minutes in 2 cups of water to two TSP (tablespoons) of sodium carbonite (Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda, you can get it at most major groceries in the US for extremely cheap). Let the water cool a bit, scrub with a toothbrush (or any soft bristled nylon brush) and you should be good. (I usually soak them overnight in DW afterwards...but that is just me).

Chris

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:20:25 am »
Great thanks! And I am assuming that if I am wrong and the coin actually doesn't have wax then no harm no foul if I do the boil? If anything it will help loosen some dirt?

I am almost positive it is waxed though, but if not this won't hurt anything I am assuming.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:35:00 am »
I boil every lot I get in this solution...it is gentle enough you could use it as a soak as well. You should be cool.

Chris

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:27:55 am »
Sweet man!  I will have to try this for my next lot.  I was thinking that a boil or hot soapy water would really loosen up a lot of dirt on coins, but didn't try it with this lot.  I took them and went straight to room temp distilled water.  it has been really slow going.

Do you place the coins in a collander or strainer basket and set them in the pan with the boiling water?  I am going to try just a low boil, because if it gets to high of a boil I assume the coins will fly around everywhere in there.  And you actually get it BOILING, not just really hot right?

Thanks for the help.  Hopefully this not only removes the wax (which I trust it will) but that it will also loosen up some dirt.  If so, I may take all the coins I have soaking right now and do a boil on them.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:41:49 am »
I used to put them in a plasic container filled with DW and whatever I wanted to add and out that container into a pot filled with boiling water. Actually, vigorously boiling them in a steel pot is not a good idea.
Andreas Reich

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 11:23:19 am »
Thanks guys for the help.  I like the idea of a plastic container setting in the boiling water, so if the coin clangs around it is only bumping into the sids of the plastic container rather than the metal pot.

I know some people just pour boiling water over the coins in a bowl and let it work that way.  i am sure it works too, just not as fast as actually boiling for 15 minutes, over hot water for 15 minutes.  I guess the hot water method would just require a repeat over the boiling version.

Thanks for the help.  I will be trying this tonight.  Gonna figure out just how I want to do it.  I think a plastic container sitting on the bottom of the pan, under the water level would make sense.

Thanks again.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 03:03:07 pm »
I've never had trouble putting them just in a pot.  The coins just sit on the bottom and really don't get tossed around.  At least they don't for me.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 05:02:47 pm »
In a long rolling boil the coins will "jingle" around a bit in the bottom of a steel pot.  They certainly don't "fly" around though.  However, I have never seen any sign of damage - ie bare copper revealed - by this action. 

I always scratch at any coins I am going to boil with a toothpick or bamboo skewer first.  Any signs of a very fragile or strange patina and I don't boil them at all.  Usually just a gentler soak in warm DW.

Shawn 
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:28:57 pm »
The first couple of lots I boiled  (and yes, boiled...full rolling boil) unnerved me due to the rattleing...but now my wife doesnt even have to ask what the noise is!  ;D I have never damaged a coin doing this (copper bottomed stainless steel pot, I cook in the family so I figued I could sacrifice one of my good ones...lol), although, like Shawn said, you need to be sure that the patina is sound before you do this. (don't worry too much about this, you will know a flaky patina when you see one, just make sure to give them all a once over before you decide how to clean them. Remember, not every coin in a lot will be the same)

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity