Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help on (London?) HC left Constantine II beata tr. (unlisted rev. break?)  (Read 647 times)

Bruno V

Hi, and thank you for looking!

I could not find this one in Helvetica's lists.

O: CONSTANTI-NVS IVN NC, helmeted and cuirassed bust left.
R: (BEAT or BEATA ) TRAN-( )VILLITAS, globe set on altar inscribed VOT / IS / XX. Three stars above.
no mintmark.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bruno

Offline Will J

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
I think I see the top of a "T" in exergue
Possibly a Trier mint variation

Bruno V

Thanks for the tip, rubadub, much appreciated.

Bruno.

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Hi,

Only saw this one whilst going through a search of BEATA Altar types. It is a rather nice imitation. The obverse copies a common London type used predominantly in what I see as the 3rd issue (-/-//PLON with BEAT TRANQLITAS reverse). The bust type of D2l is not usual for Constantine at other mints. The reverse could easily copy a Trier prototype - imitations often pair a copied obverse from one mint with a reverse from another.

Regards,

Adrianus 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity