Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I wasn't expecting this....  (Read 1971 times)

Offline lestabantam

• Praetorian
I wasn't expecting this....
« on: March 13, 2010, 03:52:21 pm »
I've been cleaning up some low grade coins, found by a metal detectorist in the UK, and was most surprised when silver started poking through on one of them. I carried on with distilled water and soft toothbrushing until I was damn sure it was silver, not silvered and then took the lemon juice plunge,it's taken some scrubbing but I'm delighted to find a fairly rare Elagabalus Silver Denarius. (RIC 131)

I'm attaching the before and after pics so you can appreciate what a surprise this was.

I'm now wondering whether to stop cleaning or carry on soaking in lemon juice and scrubbing or call it a day, It's pushing 1800 years old so maybe I should leave a bit of dirt and toning on it? I would welcome your opinions, there's part of me that wants to finish the job but another part that tells me I'll regret it later!

rick2

Re: I wasn't expecting this....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 04:02:26 pm »
leave it at this

dont risk damaging the coin !

good find

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:03:27 pm »
Oh my goodness! I really like the before-after photos, it really shows improvement! :o
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:29:42 pm »
Excellent find,  and I would also leave it as is ...impressive

Offline Coinseum

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:52:33 pm »
Brilliant! What an exciting coin to find. This is what those of us who are addicted to cleaning dream about. In fact I have some UK detectorist coins in mt to do box that I havn't  had a close look at yet, so guess what I'll be doing tonight once my boys have gone to bed.  :)

romeo

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:13:29 pm »
this makes me smile, for all those on this board that always seem to say that most uncleaned lots are a waste of time because they have been picked through a million times and all you get is crappy 4th century A4 bronzes, this is proof of the thrill of the hunt, like fishing i guess. Nice find!

Offline lestabantam

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 06:31:51 pm »
Beginners luck, I guess!

What makes me smile is the lot was "12 low grade roman bronzes" on eBay, it was in a sorry state so you can see how easy it was for the detectorist to miss.

I'll leave it in distilled water for a day or two to be sure the lemon juice is gone then add it to my fledgling collection. My first silver, is it the done thing to wax silver coins or leave them?

Thanks,

LB

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:35:24 pm »
What an innocent question.   ::)
Opinions differ.
Andreas Reich

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 06:43:00 pm »
That's fantastic!  Congratulations.  I had a similar beginners luck find.  My Caligula AE Vesta As was in an uncleaned lot and it's VF boardering on EF.  Every once in a while they slip out!
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-36964

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 06:49:47 pm »
That´s the motivating side of our hobby.

Leave it as it is - but as a final step BOIL IT IN SODA SOLUTION to neutralise the acids and stabilise the surface.

regards

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 07:08:26 pm »
That's fantastic!  Congratulations.  I had a similar beginners luck find.  My Caligula AE Vesta As was in an uncleaned lot and it's VF boardering on EF.  Every once in a while they slip out!
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-36964

That was in an uncleaned lot?! Wow.

That silver is a really nice find too!!

I once got a holed silver coin for free in an extra batch of slugs that an ebay seller was offering. Basically, you bought some uncleaneds, and he included a bunch of slugs/broken/holed coins to practice on.

The one I got was solid smooth jet black, with no discernible detail, not even the hole. 20 minutes of lemon juice later and it was a beautiful (holed) silver coin from the 18th century. I forget the attribution off the top of my head, but the inscription was in an arabic script. I'll see if I can get a picture up soon.

Offline lestabantam

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 07:19:39 pm »
I'm not surprised that waxing opinions differ, I think I'll leave it. I'll take the advice on boiling it in soda solution though, thanks.

Nice coin, Jay!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity