Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Magnentius-Do I have this right?  (Read 555 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Magnentius-Do I have this right?
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:29:56 pm »
Picked this little big coin up today...I'm finding it difficult to attribute because of the weight.  It weighs in at 9.75g.  I believe it is RIC 34

DN MAGNENTIVS PF AVG
Bare headed, draped and cuir. bust right?

dd nn avg et caes' target='_blank'>SALVS DD NN AVG ET CAES
Christogram between A and W

AMB in exergue

9.75g

Double Maiorina?

Flash makes the the patina breaks more visible then they are (they're darker).  I'll take better pictures later but wanted to nail down the attribution

pdarcan1

Re: Magnentius-Do I have this right?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:46:38 pm »
It's definitely either Magnentius or Decentius.  They both had similar coins and had similar profiles... AND their coins of this type were both made in 352-353... GOOD LUCK!

pdarcan1

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:52:33 pm »
Oh yeah, and I'd say the mint mark is AMB=Ambianum which is really cool because you dont see that one very much as it was only open for a few years at Amiens, France during the revolt of Magnentius (AD 350-353). The AMB mintmark is limited to  Magnentius, Decentius, Constantius II, and Constantius Gallus struck immediately after the defeat of Magnentius.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:56:10 pm »
Thanks!  I knew Magnentius and Constantius shared this type but I was unaware of the others.

The reverse with the AMB mintmark is why I originally bought this coin.  It was covered with a thick waxy paste which I removed with a distilled water boil for 10 minutes.  That removed the wax but revealed why it was on there so thick.  It was hiding the pits and patina break.  Now it's very dull and dried out looking.  I'll put some Ren Wax on it to bring it back to life. 

I'm leaning towards Magnentius.  Once I wax it maybe it will bring out some of the features.  Anyone else...?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:20:27 pm »
No other thoughts?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:31:10 pm »
I think it has to be Magnentius, with legend

TIVS P F AVG

before the portrait.

If it were Decentius, that legend before the portrait would have to be

VS CAESAR!

9.75g is clearly full weight, before either of the two reductions this type underwent. The mintmark possibilities are then

AMB, Bastien 135, the commonest

AMB followed by pellet, Bastien 136, also fairly common

AMB preceded by pellet, Bastien 137, one spec. only

AMB followed by palm branch, Bastien 138, one spec. only.

Probably your coin is either Bastien 135 or 136, depending on whether you can see a pellet following the AMB!
Curtis Clay

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:34:54 pm »
Thanks Curtis, so it is RIC 34?

I can't seem to find any as heavy as mine in any online references.  Is this is a Double Maiorina?  I'm a bit confused is a double Maiorina the same as a double Centenionalis?  Can you tell the late Empire is not my forte?  :laugh:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity