Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus  (Read 498 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Augustus
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »
Augustus, 16 January 27 B.C. - 19 August 14 A.D.
OBV: CAESAR AVGVST PONT MAX . . ., bare head right; reverse , legend around SC, possible countermark

25.3mm         
4.517g         

Bought on Ebay from Forvm but it didn't have any references with it. Maybe because the legends aren't complete. Forvm state it may be countermarked also.

I found a couple potential matches but am wondering if their is any way to attribute it better?

Thanks in advance. Scott

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Augustus
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:56:16 pm »
Hi!

Your coin seems to be one of the so-called moneyers coinage. The decisive parts of the legend are the CAESAR AVGVST PONT MAX [trIBVNIC POT] and the clear M at 9 o'clock on the rev. Here we should await the name of the moneyer and the only one I have found is Volusus Valerius Messalla with the legend VOLVSVS VALER MESSAL IIIVIR AAAFF clockwise beginning upper left. So here the M is on the its appropriate place too! Then your coin would be RIC I, 441

Other opinions welcomed!

Best regards

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Augustus
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 01:52:37 am »
We sometimes have more coins than we have time to fully attribute.  We put some of those coins up on eBay, sometimes completely unattributed, sometimes with partial attributions. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity