Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine or Crispus?  (Read 489 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Constantine or Crispus?
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:43:02 am »
I am not sure whether this coin is a Constantine or Crispus Campgate. The quality is not wonderful. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Constantine or Crispus?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:49:11 am »
Hi,

I think it's Constantius II as caesar from Thesalonica, SMTS with an uncertain officina letter. RIC VII Thes 158 I believe.

Regards,

Mauseus

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:20:08 am »
many thanks Mauseus! I still find it difficult to track down details, I can mange the exergue and emperor but don't get much further than that.

Offline lestabantam

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:37:24 pm »
I find this site very useful...

http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/home.htm

You can browse by reverse or emperor and then click at the bottom of the page for an excel file which really helps to attribute.

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:33 am »
Many thanks, indeed a very useful site. Completely new to me!

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:38:18 pm »
dear Zeeuwsepie,
did you try with helvetica's RIC tables?

http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity