Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: possible Julia Domna denarius?  (Read 444 times)

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
possible Julia Domna denarius?
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:32:55 pm »
First post--please bear with me. I just got a lot of 20 uncleaned coins from FORVM and was delighted to find among them a little, very worn silver coin--see the first and second attachments (I hope to improve my photography soon). I haven't cleaned it at all.

After poking around the net, the coin looks to me to be a Julia Domna denarius with Vesta on the reverse. I thought it might be Juno; but where's the peacock? Even this worn, there should have been a remnant.

The third attachment is a Julia Domna denarius in considerably better shape for sale at present on FORVM (item # 30289). The resemblence is clear but I'm not sure the drapery would have worn to the very concave line on my coin. Also there are a couple of rounded shapes at the nape of the neck that are puzzling.

Anyway, thanks to the FORVM people for the coin. How am I doing?

Dan

Offline Daniel Stewart

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
Re: possible Julia Domna denarius?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 01:07:25 am »
No one has commented so perhaps I wasn't clear. Is the Julia Domna/Vesta attribution reasonable from the coin's appearance? How many other female portraits look like that. Are there other reverse figures with the patera and sceptre in that posture? I guess I'm looking for a little free instruction.

Dan

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:30:22 am »
Yes, your attribution is correct. It is a denarius of Julia Domna, Vestae Sanctae reverse. I cannot tell the mint but this type struck at Rome between 196 and 211 AD (RIC IV-1, 587) and at Laodiceia ad Mare in 197 AD (RIC 648).
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:04:40 am »
I have a couple of these and from the bust style I would say Rome mint.

Chris

PS Sorry about that...I thought I replied last night...guess I was more tired than I thought!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:00:11 pm »
That would be my guess as well. Also those from the Rome mint are much more common and thus one has a far greater chance of encountering them. Because of the condition, though, it is impossible to tell with absolute certainty which mint it is from, so I wanted to give both possible RIC attributions. In any event, Mr. Stewart's identification of the type is correct and the probability is strong that it is, specifically, RIC IV-1, 587.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity