Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please don't do this to your coins  (Read 2909 times)

Ghengis_Jon

Please don't do this to your coins
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:46:35 am »
This R5 (RIC 263) has suffered a cruel, cruel fate.  Imagine this coin with a beautiful patina, offering an even dark green, 3D glow to the viewer.  Now further imagine such a coin being hooked to an electrolysis device or being laid out for a session of naval jelly and brass brushPoor little coin, your only feeble hope is the further indignity of Jax or Dellar's. 

Such coins are worth the wait if you put them away until you feel confident in your mechanical cleaning skills. 

Ghengis_Jon

Please don't do this to your coins
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 07:56:11 am »
This one of mine (an R4) nearly suffered the same fate.   I used to toss hopeless, concrete encrusted coins into a film canister for something to clean in the dead of winter.   I misplaced the canister and found it about 5 years later, having abandoned electrolysis in the meantime.  It took me about 3 months of patient on and off effort to clean the coin, but I am oh so pleased with the result.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Please don't do this to your coins
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »
At least the coin is nice! Sometimes, it just zaps off the whole face.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 08:29:42 am »
I wouldnt darken it, I would keep it the way it is, its not that bad IMO. I dont strip coins but have bought them...The coin is in pretty good condition. I would rather have a coin stripped to the metal than one that has been blackened.

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:27:31 pm »
It will tone again in time. For now, you get to view it as a 4th century Roman would have seen it ;) They actualy held handfulls of these looking as shiny as a 2010 Lincoln cent(!)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:07:54 pm »
But it will be still be rough.
Andreas Reich

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:59:55 pm »
4th century Roman had seen it with thin layer of silver on,
only after some wear the copper came in light.

Pekka K

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:32:32 pm »
I was not aware that all of these small base metal coins had silver, but I know some of them did.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity