Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 10:40:49 am
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Biblical & Judean Coins (Moderators: Salem Alshdaifat, Aarmale)  |  Topic: I dont know what I have. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I dont know what I have.  (Read 1834 times)
NewGuy
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:41:16 pm »

Ive had a coin for at least 13 years. I found it on the ground. Ive been trying to find some information on it, and I have found that some Judean coins have the same symbols as mine. It looks to be hand struck. It has a 6 branched what looks to be a palm tree with 2 bunches of something hanging on the front. And it has what looks like a bunch of grapes with 2 leafs on the back, does anyone know anything about one of these? It is clearly marked on the front and back but I cant read the language. I know my desciption is vague but any info on similar coins would help alot.
Jochen
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Homo sum nil humanum a me alienum puto.

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »

Hi NewGuy!

Welcome on the FORVM. Can you provide a pic of your coin?

Best regards

Arae Flaviae, Agri Decumates
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10672
Ibex-coins
Consul

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:45:19 pm »

without a picture, couldn't say, but a good guess is a Bar-kockhba middle bronze.  I assume you found it on the ground in Israel?
Ronn
Aarmale
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:30:41 pm »

I would have to agree with Ronn.  Your discription fits the Bar-Kochba Middle Bronze, or small bronze.  Picture would be helpful.

The first coin is a Bar-Kochba Middle Bronze, 133/134 CE (H-708 var.), with the obverse side being a grape leaf (Text reading "Year __ for the freedom of Israel), reverse is a 7 branced palm tree with text "Shimon" (could also be written: Shim'on the Prince of Israel (H.#108), or without the title: Shim'on (H.#109), or shortened as Shim' (H.#110). ).
The second is a Bar-Kocba Small bronze,  "Shim'on" veriety, 134/135 CE (H-739). Obverse is grape bunch, with text "Year _ for the freedom of Jerusalem", reverse is 7 branced palm tree, text "Shimon" (could be spelt as "Shimo", "Elazar the high priest" or "Jerusalem")

The 7-branced tree may be symbolizing the 7-branched Menorah.

-Aarmale

Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פלפלתא חריפתא ממלי צני קרי
NewGuy
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:20:53 pm »

Ok, finally got a couple pics, lol

NewGuy
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:25:16 pm »

The stuff on it looks so raised because I had a light shining on it from the side.
Aarmale
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:26:46 pm »

I found it on the ground.  ...It is clearly marked on the front and back but I cant read the language.
This is a fake Bar-Kochba small bronze.   Its also in modern Hebrew.  The obverse side reads "ירושלם" (Jerusalem).  The rev is "שב לחרתי שרשאל" (Year two for the freedom of Israel).

Tourist fake?

NewGuy
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:42:07 pm »

Ah man. That stinks. I actually found it in the mountains of West Virginia while metal detecting. I wish it were worth something, I was going to sell it and do a baby room for my daughter who is on the way.
Aarmale
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:54:48 pm »

Sorry  Embarrassed.  If it were real, it would go for a few hundred bucks.

-Aarmale

Ibex-coins
Consul

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 10:13:02 pm »

You found  the coin in the mountains of West Virginia, proof yet again that the Jews discovered america first.  Pretty remarkable that in the midst of a rebellion against the Romans, Bar Kokhba was able to launch an expedition to the New World.

Ronn
(the above post should be taken with a "small" grain of salt")
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Biblical & Judean Coins (Moderators: Salem Alshdaifat, Aarmale)  |  Topic: I dont know what I have. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop