Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I dont know what I have.  (Read 3375 times)

NewGuy

I dont know what I have.
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:41:16 pm »
Ive had a coin for at least 13 years. I found it on the ground. Ive been trying to find some information on it, and I have found that some Judean coins have the same symbols as mine. It looks to be hand struck. It has a 6 branched what looks to be a palm tree with 2 bunches of something hanging on the front. And it has what looks like a bunch of grapes with 2 leafs on the back, does anyone know anything about one of these? It is clearly marked on the front and back but I cant read the language. I know my desciption is vague but any info on similar coins would help alot.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: I dont know what I have.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:17:30 pm »
Hi NewGuy!

Welcome on the FORVM. Can you provide a pic of your coin?

Best regards

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:19 pm »
without a picture, couldn't say, but a good guess is a Bar-kockhba middle bronze.  I assume you found it on the ground in Israel?
Ronn

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 06:30:41 pm »
I would have to agree with Ronn.  Your discription fits the Bar-Kochba Middle Bronze, or small bronze.  Picture would be helpful.

The first coin is a Bar-Kochba Middle Bronze, 133/134 CE (H-708 var.), with the obverse side being a grape leaf (Text reading "Year __ for the freedom of Israel), reverse is a 7 branced palm tree with text "Shimon" (could also be written: Shim'on the Prince of Israel (H.#108), or without the title: Shim'on (H.#109), or shortened as Shim' (H.#110). ).
The second is a Bar-Kocba Small bronze,  "Shim'on" veriety, 134/135 CE (H-739). Obverse is grape bunch, with text "Year _ for the freedom of Jerusalem", reverse is 7 branced palm tree, text "Shimon" (could be spelt as "Shimo", "Elazar the high priest" or "Jerusalem")

The 7-branced tree may be symbolizing the 7-branched Menorah.

-Aarmale
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

NewGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 06:20:53 pm »
Ok, finally got a couple pics, lol

NewGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:25:16 pm »
The stuff on it looks so raised because I had a light shining on it from the side.

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »
I found it on the ground.  ...It is clearly marked on the front and back but I cant read the language.
This is a fake Bar-Kochba small bronze.   Its also in modern Hebrew.  The obverse side reads "ירושלם" (Jerusalem).  The rev is "שב לחרתי שרשאל" (Year two for the freedom of Israel).

Tourist fake?

NewGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:42:07 pm »
Ah man. That stinks. I actually found it in the mountains of West Virginia while metal detecting. I wish it were worth something, I was going to sell it and do a baby room for my daughter who is on the way.

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 06:54:48 pm »
Sorry  :-[.  If it were real, it would go for a few hundred bucks.

-Aarmale

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 12:13:02 am »
You found  the coin in the mountains of West Virginia, proof yet again that the Jews discovered america first.  Pretty remarkable that in the midst of a rebellion against the Romans, Bar Kokhba was able to launch an expedition to the New World.

Ronn
(the above post should be taken with a "small" grain of salt")

All coins are guaranteed for eternity