Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Text of Jannaeus Half-Prutah  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Text of Jannaeus Half-Prutah
« on: February 26, 2010, 03:21:13 pm »
I have yet to find what the Aramaic text of the Alexander Jannaeus Half-Prutah (lepta) says.  I don't have the books by Henden or Meshorer, so I have no refrenced except the internet.  All I have found is the text means "King Alexander, Year 25".
This could be translated in two ways:
Mele Yehonatan, followed by the letters Shin (or Sh'nat) Kaf Hey (Year 25). I'm guessing this is written as
:Aramaic_he::Judean_kaf_2::Aramaic_sin:  :Aramaic_nun::Aramaic_taw::Aramaic_nun::Judean_waw_7::Aramaic_he::Aramaic_yod:  :Judean_kaf_2::Aramaic_lamed::Aramaic_mem:
or
Mele Alexander, followed by the letters Shin (or Sh'nat) Kaf Hey (Year 25), which i'm guessing is
:Aramaic_he::Judean_kaf_2::Aramaic_sin:  :Aramaic_res::Aramaic_dalet::Aramaic_nun::Aramaic_sin::Judean_kaf_2::Aramaic_lamed::Judean_alef_6:  :Judean_kaf_2::Aramaic_lamed::Aramaic_mem:
The file attached seems to suggest I am wrond completly, because I can read מלכ, (Mele) meaning king in modern Hebrew. Is the whole thing in modern-style Hebrew/Aramaic?
Could someone tell me how its actually written, or which one is right?  The letter shapes are almost guaranteed to be wrong, because there are so many varients of Judean script.
-Aarmale
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Orpio

• Consul
Re: Text of Jannaeus Half-Prutah
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:56:21 pm »
Such type of coins (TJC group L) has inscriprion in Aramaic not in Paleo-Hebrew. It is not possible write these letters in Hebrew.

According to Meshorer TJC:

Aramaic: MLKכ  כLKSNDRWS ŠNT KH ("Alexander the king, year 25)
and Greek:  ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ LKE ("of King Alexander 25th year)

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:00:02 pm »
Could you tell me the trasliterated letter in English(EG. Melech is HLM or something), or written Hebrew (preferably Hebrew - modern or ancient)?
This style reminds me of the rock found by archeologists, with a carving from the second temple period.
It says "Lbeit HaTikiah", translated as "To the house of trumpeting".
In modern Hebrew, the text would look like this: לבית התקיעה ה...
It's amazing to see how similar the language stayed.

Offline Orpio

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:38:06 pm »
Below inscription in Hebrew:

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:48:25 pm »
Just to be awkard, I follow Meshorer in believing these to be prutot not lepta. Apart from the crudestr and smallest, they're too heavy to be the latter. Many of them are clearly prutah size.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Orpio

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:03:56 pm »
Btw, Meshorer gave information that average weight of these coins is from 0,3 to 1 gm!

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 05:13:44 pm »
Below inscription in Hebrew:
Ok, Malka (Melech) Alexandros Shanat Caf-Hey.
In English that would be
HK TN(SH) SORDNSCLA AKLM.

Thank you!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity