Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Saxon penny of Edgar  (Read 1943 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
A Saxon penny of Edgar
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:24:10 am »
Hi,

Over the years I've picked up a handfull of Anglo Saxon coins and this one I've probably had over 25 years.

It is a penny of Edgar, 959-75 (BM class 1, Seaby/Spink 1129). I believe it was struck at an un-named northern mint in Britain. The moneyers name on the reverse, ADLVINE MO, is probably a spelling of Aethelwine and a spelling that I haven't been able to trace with my resources for this coinage.

Sadly the coin is a little chipped but otherwise quite a pleasant example that was in my price bracket.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Merinda

• Consul
Re: A Saxon penny of Edgar
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:36:59 pm »
Hi Mauseus

Another reference is North 741. Also, a coin with this spelling is listed in SCBI 6 (Edinburgh), no.363, as Æthelwine

Blunt, Lyon & Stewart in 'Coinage in Tenth Century England', the most recent reference for this reign, note the moneyer as Adlvine (number 23 under HT NE V) in their listing, and group it with a number of spelling variations, including Æthelwine, Ethelwine, Adelwine, Adlwine and Edelaine in the index of moneyer's names

HT 1 refers to Horizontal Trefoil variant 1, a line of 3 crosses, with trefoils above and below, while NE V refers North Eastern V,  the presumed general location of the mints grouped under this heading on the basis of style and some die-links. They suggest a region including Lincoln, Stamford and Newark.

Regards

Allan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity