Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Radiated Roman with bad reverse  (Read 421 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Radiated Roman with bad reverse
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:15:27 am »
This one also comes from an uncleaned lot, it won't be anything special i guess but the reverse is a complete mystery to me. Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated!

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Re: Radiated Roman with bad reverse
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:06:31 pm »
The obverse looks a little like a Victorinus double strike or possible a barbarous for Victorinus or Tetricus II although the nose looks more like victorinus.  Just a guess anyway with the condition of the coin.

Good luck
Pete

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:02:44 pm »
Is it just me, or does it look like it was overstruck more than once?
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:10:42 pm »
If you turn the coin  45 degrees, There might be a jug, part of sacrificial instruments.

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity