Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bearded Roman  (Read 859 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Bearded Roman
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:13:23 am »
This one I also cannot figure out. It doesn't seem to appear in the list of most common uncleaned coins. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Bearded Roman
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:17:09 am »
Looks like Tetricus I, Gallic Empire.

Best regards

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:47:54 am »

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:54:35 am »
I'm sorry to disagree, but it probably rather imitates a Victorinus coin (INVICTVS, Sol with star in left field). It could also be an imitation of Postumus' ORIENS AVG reverse, Sol with P in left field, but the portrait and metal point towards Victorinus.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:43:20 am »
I can't find a match, in particular the letters on the reverse don't match Victorinus coins I have found on the web. What other options would be there?

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:56:09 am »
It's an imitation with blundered legends, so you won't find a legend match on an official coin.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 06:10:45 am »
I guess not a contemperary imitation then. What do you mean with blundered legends?

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 06:15:25 am »
Most of these were issued between the fall of the Gallic Empire and the mid 280ies, but some, of course, also contemporarily.

With blundered legends I mean irregular legends. Sometimes they are close to the official ones and readable, sometimes full of errors and sometimes they are only composed by fantasy letters.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity