Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Unlisted Constans

<< < (2/2)

Ghengis_Jon:
Its consistant with other Trier issues in my possession.  I looked at the eye quite closely, being the usual giveaway to unofficial production, but the harshness of the cleaning makes it impossible to pin down one way or the other.  The reverse is beautifully done down to the folds in the gaments and the wings again are consistant with other Trier output.  The barbs I have from this mint, while better than most, still have a telltale sign somewhere.  Perhaps its illegal 'moonlighting' production at the official mint.

Couple the single wreath with the pearl diadem on the obverse, and it leads me to lean toward an unlisted series.  The "M" series out of Trier was produced in great numbers and one can find available specimens easily.   However, these types are only known with rosette headgear.   One would think that unofficial style of this type would have shown up somewhere before.

I've collected this type for many years and have never seen one with a single wreath before.    I really like the design and am glad I got the opportunity to buy the coin.  

Vincent:
I agree with you GJ that it is an excellent unofficial issue of this issue. I been colleting these myself for some time and this is the first I've seen with one wreath. I just purchased the scarce first issue of Rome with the two Victories side by side holding wreaths. The lettering of yours is somewhat uneven and crude, but still as close as they come to the real mccoy.
Treasure your find and enjoy the catch!

Adrianus:
Yes, the strange treatment of the ties at the back of the neck, the irregular lettering and, of course, the shared wreath, mark this out as an unofficial issue of good style.

Regards,

Adrianus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version