Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Broken coin Roman  (Read 490 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Broken coin Roman
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:35:18 pm »
This coin could be cleaned better but after two experiments today with olive oil and vaseline I'd rather post it like this. Cleaning is an art as well! Suggestions are very welcome!

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
Re: Broken coin Roman
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:54 pm »
This looks like one of the late third century Gallic emperors such as Tetricus, posthumous or Victorianus, or a baberous imitation of---

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:16:21 pm »
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:00:34 am »
Thank you!I am very pleased with this coin, finally something different from Constantine era coins. Does anyone know what RIC number is alllocated to this type; where could I find references?

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:45:16 am »
Thank you!I am very pleased with this coin, finally something different from Constantine era coins. Does anyone know what RIC number is alllocated to this type; where could I find references?

Here is a good resource you ought to have if you clean coins. Helvetica's RIC lists are spreadsheets assembled by Dane who is a member here, she's worked very hard to continually update these lists and add new lists.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dane/

Learn how to use the lists by filtering each column, its the process of elimination, and you can ID most common types of later AE coins. There is a list for the Tetricus fellows, Postumus, Victorinus and most of the common emperors whos coins were of this sort. These spreadsheets will supply you with a RIC reference if you can extract enough infor from the coin itself.

Hope that helps!  :)
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity