Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Indo coin?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
Indo coin?
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:52:19 pm »
I'm not sure of the origin of coin , maybe India region?
The coin is 16mm ,3.5 grams , 2mm thick.
Obv; female deity? in round indentation
Rev; unknown symbols, sanskit?
Help with ID or any info appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Manzikert

Re: Indo coin?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:53:32 pm »
Hi Mike

I'm pretty sure it is Seleucid, Antiochus II from Sardes, similar to this from Wildwinds http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/seleucia/antiochos_II/SC_525@1c.jpg. Your reverse is upside down, but I'm not sure of the right orientation for the obverse.

I can certainly see the [BASIL]EOS upwards at left and [ANTI]OXO[Y] upwards a right, and the anchor below a tripod on the reverse.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the countermark on the obverse though.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
Re: Indo coin?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:22 pm »
Alan,
 Thanks for the help. I had the Rev upside down.
Looks about right for Antiochus II coin.
The countermark was throwing me off.
It has an Indian Flavor to it.
Mike

All coins are guaranteed for eternity