Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large 27mm 10g/.35oz is this Silvered? Pius? Or false silver chips mixed in?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
Im fairly certain the coin is genuine, it has been in olive oil soaks and I have yet to "pick" at it due to the signs of silvering? It is 27mm and has a weight of 10g(.35oz) but I am unsure where to go. To give a simple comparison, this coin, when I remove it and set it next to a bronze, both with olive oil on them, sitting on a paper towel, this one either "absorbs or dries" much faster as the bronze I used as a test is still slimey and slick with oil. Made me wonder if there is a specific reaction with silvered coins? Is so, was silvering done in early Rome or was it generally silver. I attached 2 pics with different lighting to help anyone who decides to look at this. Thanks in advance. And if so, any tips on what I should or shouldnt do with this further would be amazing help.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Too big to be a silvered issue IMO.

I would use Distilled Water and boil this one in Gringott's mix.  It's heavily encrusted but you can see the hair through the crust.

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
Thanks for the tip I may try that after I learn more. Based on what you shared, what would cause the silver that is present? Is it a form of chemical reaction mimicking the silver? In person you can tell it is doing something or made of something that is silver in look. Every angle in light, etc, turning it, etc, its the same, no light tricks, etc. Im dumbfounded and dont want to go further until i find out what I am seeing that is silver. The small sections of minor details do not have it I believe unless hidded. It almost appears "flakey" hence I thought silvering but just like you said, it sent a flag up as I thought the same due to its age, they didnt do that from what Ive read that early in the empire. Hmmm...patience will hopefully get some more looks at this thread. Thanks again for responding. Much appreciated.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
This subforum is not for coins you think are genuine.
Andreas Reich

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Thus far, I believe every coin you've asked posted has been genuine.
Study the fakes in the fake reports and get to know the common denominators of them. Generally speaking, the really rough examples, like most of the ones you've posted about, tend not to be fakes.
In any case, if you think a coin IS genuine, but you want to know what it is, post under ID Help.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline BROK3N LANGVAG3

• Praetorian
Will do and thanks for all the help. I wasnt sure if "i think I know but that means i dont 100% know" counted for this particular board so I apologize. I am a rookie as far as this site goes. Ive been studying the fake gallery alot, most are fairly standout I just become concerned as I have read some forgers go great lengths to mimic even uncleaned coins down to encrustation, silver flakings inserted, etc. Using the earth and fertilizers to mimic aging. Again, I thank you, and I will direct further posts under the ID section. Thank you for pointing that out before I unknowingly abused this section further. I mean no harm at all, I only wish to educate properly so I never misinform a customer or my own intuition when I do sell occasionally. Ive a great respect for this hobby and the helpful folks here.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
I haven't seen any uncleaned fakes like you describe. These things may be theoretically possible, but as Commodus said, 'problem coins' tend to be genuine. I went years without buying a fake coin, even buying from a well-known auction site, because I bought cheap coins with problems, usually corrosion. If someone thinks one of your coins is fake they will tell you, no matter where you post them but it seems to be just the usual fake paranoia.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity