Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Missing S of Valens  (Read 545 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Missing S of Valens
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:07:13 am »
I have come this far but cannot find the tight match; the problem is the last letter of Valens that is placed on the opposite side of the obverse on most versions. Every coin of the same type I have seen reads "valen" instead of Valens on the left side of the observe. Did I miss something?

RL38203. Bronze AE 3, RIC IX 7(b).; obverse D N VALEN-S P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; reverse SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE, Victory advancing left, wreath in right, palm frond in left, •ASISC in exergue

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Missing S of Valens
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:29:01 am »
Both legends occur. DN VALENS - PF AVG could be from Heraclea, Constantinopolis, Nicomedia and Antioch.

Best regards

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 06:24:23 am »
Thanks, any idea/suggestion which legend is applicable to this coin?

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:37:21 am »
It's SECVRITAS - REI PVBLICAE, Victory advancing l., holding wreath and palm. The mint mark is difficult to read. I think it starts with CO, possibly CONSB, making it Constantinopolis. Either way it is Valens RIC IX, Constantinopolis 21(b); struck 25. Feb. 364 - 24. Aug. 367; common

Best regards

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:47:37 am »
Herzlichen Dank Jochen!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity