Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman lady?  (Read 649 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Roman lady?
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:51:30 am »
This coin is in fair condition. I will be a bit more careful in expressing the condition of the coin! Any help will be sincerely appreciated!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Roman lady?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:57:01 am »
The 'lady' is the deceased Constantine I;)

Best regards

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:58:08 am »
A posthumous coin of Constantine I, see here:

28376. Silvered AE 4, RIC VIII 4, Choice EF, weight 2.637 g, maximum diameter 16.9 mm, die axis 0o, Alexandria mint, posthumous, 337 - April 340 A.D.; obverse DV CONSTANTI-NVS PT AVGG, veiled bust right; reverse Emperor, veiled, in quadriga right, the hand of God reaches down to him, S R at sides, SMALĪ“ in ex; SOLD

(from FORVM's catalog)

Andreas
Andreas Reich

David S4

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:16:19 pm »
It look more like it from Constantinople to me
Constantinople
RIC VIII 39   Constantine I. Posthumous. AE17, Constantinople. 347-348 AD. DV CONSTANTI-NVS PT AVGG, veiled head right / Emperor, veiled, in quadriga right, the hand of God reaches down to him. Mintmark: CONSA. RIC VIII Constantinople 39.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 01:02:15 pm »
It was just an illustration of the type, not supposed to be the same RIC number.
Andreas Reich

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 03:03:41 am »
Many thanks gentlemen! It's is not all what it appears to be on first sight!

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 06:34:11 pm »
Constantine is veiled here in what some have claimed to be his death shroud, though more than likely it is symbolic of his role as a priest of the Religio Romana, which was intimately tied to politics, as no doubt was his embracing of Christianity. Although Constantine was the son of a Christian mother, legalized Christianity, and indeed embraced that faith to a substantial degree, he never completely abandoned the old religious ways, either. The coin is a commemorative of his deification by the Senate, a fact that in itself -- as with the coin's mix of Roman and Christian iconography -- demonstrates that the role of Christianity was still ill-defined at the time.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity